D-RUG Work Session tomorrow from 10-12, 360 Shields...

Ryan Peek

Oct 5, 2017, 1:17:21 AM10/5/17
to davi...@googlegroups.com
Hi D-RUGies,

Just wanted to let you know our weekly work session is on for tomorrow at 10am, in the DSI (360 Shields). Bring your questions/work and enjoy the space.

I need to leave a bit earlier tomorrow, so will be heading out around 11:30, but folks are welcome to stay past that time.

NEW WEEKLY PACKAGE(s) OF THE WEEK UPDATE!

Additionally, I'm going to try and start something that we'll call "Package(s) of the Week". Currently there are 11, 556 packages on CRAN, and many more in Github repositories and elsewhere! Many times someone has a package that may do what you need, and while it's fun finding new packages, it can be a bit overwhelming to searching for them.

So, if you have a package you really enjoy using that's a hidden gem, or a fun new package you just discovered, etc., please send them my way! I'd prefer to try to focus on the packages that are a bit outside of the core/popular packages folks use (i.e., tidyverse, lattice, etc), but happy to take whatever feedback you all have. Ultimately I just want a sentence or two about the package or how you use it, a link to the vignette, and call it good. Here's a google form we can use to compile all of these:

  • SPYvsSPY: For this week, I'll mention a recent CRAN addition that catalogues data from all the Spy vs. Spy comics (from MAD Magazine). Sort of a fun dataset for statistical examples or just playing around with. It's on CRAN, and on github here.

Adios,
Ryan

--

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
John Muir (My First Summer in the Sierra, 1911)