Warning message question

Kelly Weinersmith

Jun 28, 2014, 12:51:03 PM6/28/14
to davi...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I'm redoing some statistics that I did ages ago, and after updating my packages I'm getting an error that I don't believe I got the last time I ran my code. For example, I ran the model below and received this warning message:

> m6C <- bglmm(log10(CORT) ~ (1|Tank.LetterU/Number.Letter) + Day + Day2 + Mass.c  + EUHADensity.c + RENBDensity.c, data=d, family=gaussian)

Warning message:
In mer_finalize(ans) : false convergence (8)

When I compare the precis() or summary() outputs from this model to models that did not yield this error message I get very similar estimates, so it at least looks like it's getting a reasonable output.

So, is this a warning message I have to worry about? Probably. If so, what might be going wrong and how would I deal with it?

Thanks!

Best,
Kelly

--
Kelly Weinersmith, ABD
Graduate Group in Ecology

Jaime Ashander

Jun 30, 2014, 4:33:28 PM6/30/14
to davi...@googlegroups.com, davi...@googlegroups.com
I'm not familiar with bglmm. But I have seen similar (the same?) messages from the underlying package (nlme or lme4 maybe?) that I assume provides mer_finalize. If there's a way to pass an argument about verbosity you may get more info. Look in the bglmm docs for this maybe?

Alternatively, if bglmm isn't supposed to use mer_finalize, you could have multiple packages loaded and some name collisions?

One final suggestion, after looking at the bglmm manual, is to try two things and see if results differ :

1 try a different method
2 try with OPT = FALSE, which will result in more iterations with the current method

-Jaime
--
Check out our R resources at http://www.noamross.net/davis-r-users-group.html
---