JOB: Research Scientist at EcoHealth Alliance, Modeling + Analytics

Noam Ross

Oct 9, 2017, 6:49:39 PM10/9/17
to Davis R Users Group
Hi all,

If you'll indulge me for using this listserv to recruit, I'm looking for a tech-level research scientist with R chops to work on a variety of projects at EcoHealth Alliance in NYC, and I know the D-RUG listserv is teeming with folks with mixed stats/biological backgrounds! Details below.

This would be great for someone with an Ecology/Epi M.S. and a quantitative bent, a B.S. and a few years experience with data analysis, or a statistical background and interest in getting more involved in the ecological side. We're looking for candidates who can integrate different fields and skills. If you know any promising candidates or places to post, please pass this along.  Feel free to contact me with questions at ro...@ecohealthalliance.org.

Best,

Noam

Research Scientist

https://www.ecohealthalliance.org/career/research-scientist

POSITION SUMMARY

EcoHealth Alliance seeks a creative and analytically-minded research scientist with strong quantitative skills to support our Modeling and Analytics team. The research scientist will work closely with our team of scientists and staff on multiple projects related to disease emergence, antimicrobial resistance, land-use change, and conservation. The research scientist will work as part of the USAID supported PREDICT project as well as other federally-funded research. Responsibilities of the research scientist include performing statistical analyses, assembling and curating data sets, performing literature reviews, and writing scientific publications and government reports. The candidate must be self-motivated, proactive, and willing and able to help design new research projects that fit with the mission and direction of EcoHealth Alliance. The candidate must be collaborative and comfortable working in a team-based environment.

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES

  • Assemble, clean, combine, and curate data sets from large, heterogenous sources
  • Perform statistical analyses and develop epidemiological models to understand and make predictions about disease emergence
  • Analyze data to identify potential interventions that reduce emerging infectious disease spillover
  • Produce data visualizations
  • Develop tools and scripts for the M&A team and broader PREDICT community to support analyses and reports
  • Collaborate in writing scientific publications and technical reports
  • Collaborate effectively with an interdisciplinary and international team
  • Participate in other projects and tasks as required or assigned by supervisor

OTHER DUTIES

  • Represent EcoHealth Alliance at international and domestic conferences, in-country meetings, and other venues
  • Work effectively with in-country and other collaborators
  • Serve as a spokesperson for EcoHealth Alliance at conferences, scientific and public meetings, in the media, and through lectures
  • Participate in other projects and tasks as required or assigned by supervisor

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS

  • B.A. or B.S. in Statistics, Biostatistics, Public Health, Epidemiology, Environmental Health, Infectious Disease Ecology, Data Science, or related field at the time of starting the position
  • Strong quantitative, statistical, and computational skills
  • Demonstrated ability to self-teach new software tools and statistical methods
  • Knowledge of open source statistical software, including R
  • Strong eye for detail
  • A passion for scientific rigor and meaningful impact
  • Strong verbal and written communication skills
  • Strong data management and project management skills
  • Fluency in spoken and written English

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS

  • M.A. or at least two years of work experience in a related field
  • Experience in statistical analysis and modeling in ecology, public health, and infectious diseases
  • Experience in working across diverse disciplines
  • Knowledge and experience of GIS and spatial analyses
  • Knowledge of SIR simulation modeling
  • Knowledge and experience in methods of reproducible research
  • Experience with R package development and web APIs
  • Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals

The position is based at EcoHealth Alliance’s headquarters in New York City. EcoHealth Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, and vision coverage and a 403(b) pension plan. For further information about EcoHealth Alliance, please visit our website: www.ecohealthalliance.org

How to Apply:

Send an email with a single attachment labeled with your first and last name only (“first last.pdf”) in PDF format containing (a) a cover letter, (b) CV, and (c) three references to jo...@ecohealthalliance.org with “RESEARCH SCIENTIST 2017” in the subject line. Emails without the subject line or with multiple attachments will not be received. No formal text is required within the body of your email, since only the attached PDF will be evaluated. All inquires will receive an automatic response confirming receipt. Applicatons will be evaluated and only appropriate candidates will be contacted.

Thank you for your interest in EcoHealth Alliance!