DIB Workshop Announcement: d3.js for Interactive Data Visualization 12/4

Jessica Mizzi

Nov 17, 2015, 2:56:50 PM11/17/15
to davi...@googlegroups.com
Workshop announcement: d3.js for Interactive Data Visualization

Who: Emily Dolson (lead instructor) and C. Titus Brown
When: December 4, 2015
Times: 9 am-12:15 pm
Where: Bennett Room, UC Davis Campus

Want to make pretty, dynamic, and interactive data visualizations like http://charts.animateddata.co.uk/ukwind/ andhttp://mbostock.github.io/d3/talk/20111116/iris-splom.html? D3 (which stands for Data Driven Documents) is a Javascript library that enables you to display data in a flexible way. Since it's a Javascript library, these visualizations can easily be shared either offline or via the internet. The option to add interactive elements to your visualization lends itself to making your data easy for others to explore. We'll be running a 3-hour workshop covering the basics of using d3.js to visualize data. No prior web programming experience required (we'll teach you the necessary Javascript and html), but this workshop is aimed at people who already feel comfortable programming in at least one language.

This workshop will be taught remotely at Michigan State University and broadcast to our classroom using Google Hangouts.  There will be helpers in the room to facilitate the lessons.

More at:

Registration Link:

This workshop is open to everyone, including graduate students,
postdocs, staff, faculty, and the broader Bay Area community (including
IT and biotech). We have reserved space for UC Davis VetMed
affiliates; please contact the organizer if you are affiliated with
the SVM.

We especially encourage people to come with one or more colleagues
from their lab or research group!

----

This workshop is hosted by the Lab for Data Intensive Biology as part of
their training program; see

for more information.