D-RUG Meeting Tomorrow DIFFERENT LOCATION: WICKSON 2124

Ryan Peek

Oct 18, 2017, 6:13:38 PM10/18/17
to davi...@googlegroups.com
Hi D-RUGies,

Hope everyone's quarter is progressing smoothly. We are having our weekly worksession tomorrow from 10-12pm, but temporarily (just this week) going to meet in WICKSON 2124. The DSI space is in use this week.

Package/Functions of the Week:

This week I wanted to point folks to a few nice options for grabbing web data or "scraping". One is a package called "rvest". A nice demo is here on github

I also want folks to know there are some great tools/knowledge that are available via Duncan Temple Lang over at the DSI. The materials from a recent workshop are here on github if you're interested. Some of the main packages used are curl and XML, see the linked vignettes if interested!

Hope to see folks tomorrow, in Wickson 2124.

Adios,
Ryan

--

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
John Muir (My First Summer in the Sierra, 1911)