Re: [D-RUG]: Digest for davis-rug@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 1 topic

Jimmy Calanchini

Jul 30, 2015, 1:27:04 PM7/30/15
to davi...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the phenomenal feedback and advice, Davis R users!  Coursera looks like a really attractive option for me, at least to get the ball rolling. And I will keep an eye on the D-RUG list for info on bootcamps, carpentries, and other workshops…

Jimmy

Jimmy Calanchini, ABD
UC Davis Department of Psychology
Social Cognition Lab: psychology.ucdavis.edu/labs/sherman/site
www.jimmycalanchini.com

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM, <davi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Jimmy Calanchini <jcala...@ucdavis.edu>: Jul 29 12:06PM -0700

Hello Davis R Users,

Long time subscriber, first time poster. I’m also a long time SPSS user
who is easing into using R, but it’s going a lot slower than I’d prefer, so
I’m interested in taking an R course here on campus this upcoming year. I
see that STA141 is being offered in the fall. Does anybody know if the
instructor allows grad students to audit? I’m in my dissertation year and
have a family, so I’d prefer to not formally enroll if I don’t have to --
though I certainly intend to come to class and do the work. I emailed
Duncan Temple Lang a few weeks ago to ask him about auditing but never
heard back. He probably gets dozens of those kinds of emails, plus its
summer.

If STA141 doesn’t work out for me for whatever reason, can anybody
recommend another R course that is being offered this year? Most of the
ones listed on Noam Ross’ website seem to focus on specific applications
and only teach R incidentally in service of those applications, whereas I’m
looking for a more general R course.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Jimmy

Jimmy Calanchini, ABD
UC Davis Department of Psychology
Social Cognition Lab: psychology.ucdavis.edu/labs/sherman/site
www.jimmycalanchini.com

Michael Hannon <jmhannon...@gmail.com>: Jul 29 12:09PM -0700

Historically, Duncan has been very welcoming to auditors. Note that the
course is fast-paced and typically not exclusively about R.

-- Mike

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Jimmy Calanchini <jcala...@ucdavis.edu>
wrote:

Brandon Hurr <brando...@gmail.com>: Jul 29 12:14PM -0700

Do you need an official course? There are loads online through coursera or
other places.

When I was first starting out I found that buying a book, reading it and
following along with the examples made the most improvements in my
abilities. That and lots and lots of googling for "how do I ....?". Mike
Crawley's R Book is a beast, but it has loads of examples. If you're
thinking of doing plotting and using ggplot2, do not buy/use the ggplot2
book that Hadley wrote, it is terribly out of date. You can build the new
one he's working on here: https://github.com/hadley/ggplot2-book or Winston
Chang's book is good too.

These cheatsheets from Rstudio are really handy too:
https://www.rstudio.com/resources/cheatsheets/

HTH,
Brandon

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Jimmy Calanchini <jcala...@ucdavis.edu>
wrote:

Michael Levy <mal...@ucdavis.edu>: Jul 29 03:29PM -0400

STA141 is a great class, but it is among the highest workload classes I've
taken. Like Mike said, it's not all R, but it's about 2/3 R, with the rest
(last year at least) being shell, sql, and regex... very useful things to
know a bit about. The non-R stuff is grouped at the end of the quarter, so
if you audited you could skip that. Duncan previously has allowed auditors,
but demand for this and similar classes is exploding and physical space is
sometimes a problem, so that may not be the case in the future.

I will be offering a one-week R bootcamp at the end of the summer; more to
come on that soon, and there are other similar offerings both on and off
campus.

Michael Levy
PhD Candidate
Department of Environmental Science and Policy
University of California, Davis
mal...@ucdavis.edu
*www.michaellevy.name <http://www.michaellevy.name/>*

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Brandon Hurr <brando...@gmail.com>
wrote:

"C. Titus Brown" <ctb...@ucdavis.edu>: Jul 29 02:10PM -0700

Hi Jimmy,

a few thoughts --

* I'll probably host another Data Carpentry or Software Carpentry sometime
between now and January; keep an eye on this list, and/or join the
dib-training list (dib-training.readthedocs.org/en/pub/). Software Carpentry
sometime teaches R, while Data Carpentry relies much more on R but is
more discipline specific.

* Berkeley runs regular workshops through BIDS, not sure what they're offering
but it's not too far away if you can find something;

* the Data Science Initiative (run by Duncan) will probably be offering their
own workshops (or co-hosting my things, or some mix :) in the fall;

* there are a *lot* of videos etc online; I would start here:

http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2013/04/coursera-data-analysis-course-videos.html

cheers,
--titus

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 03:29:45PM -0400, Michael Levy wrote:

--
C. Titus Brown, ctb...@ucdavis.edu
Michael Hannon <jmhannon...@gmail.com>: Jul 29 03:45PM -0700

This thread has gotten long enough that I may have just missed something
important, but let me offer the following, possibly-gratuitous suggestion.

I suggest you start learning R from any of the various useful resources
already mentioned in this thread and then regard this list as a "private
tutor". E.g., if you get to the '*apply' family of functions in your
reading and don't understand the difference between sapply and lapply, just
ask this list for clarification. (Example picked more or less at random
and not intended to be representative of problems faced by a given person.)