GeoHYD Today at 5.30 p.m: Community Mapping in Kenya (Map Kibera)

srinivas kodali

May 20, 2017, 12:37:51 AM5/20/17
to datameet
Sorry for the late announcement in the group. This month's GeoHYD is today

Kibera in Nairobi, Kenya, was a blank spot on the map until November 2009, when young Kiberans created the first free and open digital map of their own community.

Map Kibera has now grown into a complete interactive community information project. Map Kibera uses tools which we call “Voice” - because they are all about amplifying the voice of the community.

Map Kibera Trust’s mission is to increase influence and representation of marginalized communities through the creative use of digital tools for action. Since 2009, when they launched our work by empowering youth residents of the Kibera community to create the first digital map of Kibera, Map Kibera Trust has continued efforts to transform a marginalized settlement which was previously a blank spot on the map into an increasingly visible and vibrant community. Now a full citizen information and media project, they use tools like mapping, SMS, blogging and video.

Zacharia Muindi (Zack) from Map Kibera will speak about the project and his experiences of putting Kibera on the map by engaging with the community.

This is an open event which doesn't require any entry fee. For any further details please contact

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali