Feedback on app on Crime Data in India

Saurabh Datar

Apr 24, 2016, 2:20:20 PM4/24/16
to datameet
Hi all,

I am a journalism student at Stanford. It's been really great being a part of this group and I've learnt a lot. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for some feedback on a project I am working on.

I am creating an interactive website for India's crime data as my thesis project. It will basically allow people to compare crimes across different cities and types. I plan to have dedicated pages for each crime category and each city, with basic charts (line, bar) to illustrate the data. Users will also be able to download the data as CSVs. I am sure all of you know that NCRB releases the data in lovely 600-page PDFs every year :) Given the time limitations, I have scraped data for cities for the last five years and am looking to build on that.

I hope to know more about what you would like to see as a feature -- or if there are some caveats that you'd like to point out. I would like for the project to be useful to the journalism and open data community, and would love to know your suggestions and tailor my project accordingly.

Please feel free to ping me here or email me separately.

PS: If anyone needs PDFs converted to Excel/CSV, hit me up. I have a subscription to CometDocs (part of the journalism program requirements) and would be happy to help out.

Cheers,
Saurabh

Johnson Chetty

Apr 24, 2016, 2:33:55 PM4/24/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Good on you Saurabh! +1

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Regards,
Johnson Chetty

Venkatraman S

Apr 25, 2016, 1:43:02 AM4/25/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Good initiative. I tried it as well. The biggest problem I stumbled on(pointed by you) was structured data as well. The dataset on NCRB is still around 2014 and there is no latest info spanning the last few years.

Something that I did a few years back : http://indiatogether.org/gender-gap-wef-and-crimes-against-women-ncrb-women

I would recommend that
- you do not have pre-built charts, but let the queries be dynamic which would let the user choose different types of attributes and see the trend(s) based on the query. Ability to cross-correlate is lost in the case of pre-built biz.
- Also, you can have a dedicated section, which highlights some of the jarring patterns as observed - this section can be prebuilt.

Saurabh Datar

Apr 25, 2016, 12:43:07 PM4/25/16
to datameet
Thanks! I will keep that in mind.