digitizing maps update

Justin Meyers

Dec 19, 2015, 10:36:13 AM12/19/15
to datameet
I think some things may have to be digitized from pdf/ jpeg/ paper maps (because the government will not allow any dissemination of a digital format, for whatever reason they see fit).  However all India data (slum, ward, ac/pc, district, village, tehsil/ taluk, etc) exists in a digital format.  I think the most important thing to do is start a series of RTIs.  File one per layer/ dataset per agency per state/ federal.  There is no other way to get quality information.  Even commercial gis data in India (while it passes certain standards/ criteria) exists, it isn't always the greatest quality.  While a lot of data exists, sometimes, the quality is lacking.  If we do just download data, it may be missing pieces, attributes, etc.  For some parts of the nation data is well outdated, and others it is amazing.  I saw Nisha had started a github (I believe it has changed already), but she listed places in Bihar that could be digitized.  I went to a few of the sites (http://ceobihar.nic.in/map/MainMenu.asp and http://gis.bih.nic.in/Map/BiharMap.aspx ) and downloaded a few maps.  These are nice, but generalized.  I then compared with some downloaded data.  You can be the judge.  Attached is a sample of the downloaded data.  I think some of it is nice, but some is heavily generalized.

I know a few people on datameet have downloaded data and served it back to the public or just kept it.  Some data exists here: https://archive.org/details/IndiaVillageBoundaries I believe Thejesh GN did this.  It is not complete, has holes, and I am not sure all of the attributes exist.

I believe that a detailed system of filing RTIs is the best way to pursue the data.  I imagine many will be denied.  But I think it is the best way to start.  Then we can figure out what to do as a next step.
Jehanabad_Bihar_Sample.zip

Pradeep Bhatt

Dec 19, 2015, 11:15:55 AM12/19/15
to data...@googlegroups.com

Guys,

Some days back Vinoth had mentioned about OnlineRTI.com where you can apply RTI online for any govt in India and they take care of drafting and all other formalities.

This month PayTM is sponsoring social RTIs on the site. Digital dataset is very much a social RTI.

You mentioned series of RTIs at different level, you can do on the site for free. All it needs is creating a PayTM account, you can read more here onlinerti.com/paytm

Disclaimer : I am co-founder here

Regards
Pradeep

Till 31st December Pa

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Arun Ganesh

Dec 19, 2015, 1:01:35 PM12/19/15
to datameet
Just filed for one through onlineRTI for the shapefiles for Chennai. Lets see how that goes.

Thanks Pradeep.
--
Arun Ganesh

Arun Ganesh

Dec 21, 2015, 1:16:31 PM12/21/15
to datameet
Just approved my RTI application that was drafted by OnlineRTI to send to the Corporation of Chennai.

i encourage everyone who advised to file an RTI to give it a try, this was rather easy.
--
Arun Ganesh

Justin Meyers

Dec 21, 2015, 3:46:04 PM12/21/15
to datameet
Arun,
What layers/ datasets did you request from them?  streets, buildings, landuse, cadastre, villages, etc?

Thanks!

Justin Meyers

Apr 7, 2016, 11:23:22 AM4/7/16
to datameet
Arun,
I never heard if you received the gis data.  Did they supply you with any shapefile data?

Thanks,
Justin

Arun Ganesh

Apr 8, 2016, 1:50:39 PM4/8/16
to datameet
I got an optimistically vague response that the shapefiles can be accessed at http://www.mhupa.gov.in/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sharad Lele

Apr 9, 2016, 12:21:33 AM4/9/16
to datameet
Could not find anything at that website, Arun! Surprise, surprise!