Everything that is being done Badly is a Job opportunity in India

Dilip Damle

Sep 20, 2017, 3:42:02 AM9/20/17
to datameet
Hello,

Fellow Datameeters,
This is more of a post about my feelings rather than related to Data.

We are talking about reducing Job opportunities, Unemployment and frustrated youth.

But I am confused.

Every time I do anything, any work, I go anywhere I see the world full of job opportunities in India.

Every pothole needs to be filled that is a Job.

Everything dirty needs to be cleaned.

Coming to our domain

Every map that does not exist needs to be made.

Every  data that is not cleaned needs to be cleaned and verified.

So very is the problem .... I wish  you people share your thoughts.

Regards

Dilip Damle

Nikhil VJ

Sep 20, 2017, 12:42:23 PM9/20/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty much my line of thinking when drawing up projects on our
chapter's wiki :
https://github.com/datameet-pune/datameet-pune.github.io/wiki
> --
> ---

Cheers,
Nikhil VJ
+91-966-583-1250
Pune / Mandangad, India
DataMeet Pune chapter <https://datameet-pune.github.io/>
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>
Blog <http://nikhilsheth.blogspot.in>
Contribute <https://www.instamojo.com/@nikhilvj/>

Nisha Thompson

Sep 21, 2017, 4:28:03 AM9/21/17
to datameet
I think about this constantly and am outwardly angry at the current gig system evolving here turning a generation of smart capable people into drivers and delivery people, who are overworked and underpaid.

You don't need college degrees and English to collect data, to work on problems, to solve things, to map, to monitor, to build companies and opportunities. You need a bit of money, a lot of trust, and genuine interest.

I am frustrated with this dashboard, platform bullshit, where everyone is willing to sink millions of dollars into tech but not into training and hiring people and giving them jobs. Because giving people gainful, stable, consistent employment with benefits and good wages isn't sustainable. Well that is what works, that's what creates good customer service and products, good implementation, and a healthier populace that has time and energy to create more ideas, products and solve problems.

I don't know the answer it's a huge issue. I find it a good start to see the Pune groups plan and also the work of multiple other people and groups throughout the country who have been working for years on education and skill building.

We were approached by a community college outside Chennai (my cousin works there) about doing data skill building with their students (no one there has an education level after 8th standard). But it fell through because i didn't have time and also we had to line up employers. But it seemed promising especially for data clean up. Converting pdfs now don't require much programming knowledge, the college does basic computer and english training with the students. We could do a few simple data clean up modules and work with a few students to get their skill level up. But I didn't have time to get employers who will hire them right away which was a requirement by the college before we worked with them. Maybe we can look into it more next year.

Nisha

Cheers,
Nikhil VJ
+91-966-583-1250
Pune / Mandangad, India
DataMeet Pune chapter <https://datameet-pune.github.io/>
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>
Blog <http://nikhilsheth.blogspot.in>
Contribute <https://www.instamojo.com/@nikhilvj/>
--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Nisha Thompson
DataMeet.org
skype: nishaqt
mobile: 962-061-2245

Kedar Annam

Sep 21, 2017, 5:02:03 AM9/21/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I strongly believe in this problem of unemployment with lot of opportunities opening and lying vacant.
This is also the case with government as well. More than a crore of seats are vacant even in government sector and people are unemployed in countries, still there is no employment.

Please consider following point:
1. Lack of skilled people:
- i know many jobs are still available don't need a particular skill, but still vacant. here the wages to be given for such jobs are playing challenging role. Wages are low and people will not be able to survive at such subsistence level with such jobs.
- poor working environment is also a challenge. for example: occupational hazards of jobs like construction, waste management, mining are very high, and no safety measures are taken by organisation for their workers and wages are also too low. because of which people are not taking these jobs.

2. people should be hired first and then trained (given skills) and then placed to work.

3. National Skill development has trained 30L people but could only place 3L. organisations working in skilling sector are only focused on numbers of people they are training and not on giving them jobs.
CSR money is used to train people, but companies are not hiring them.

4. People are selected for only training, knowing that they will not be continuing with those jobs.

5. People should be hired for the required skills in organisation. And then they should be trained as per the skills required for that job.
this would give maximum impact.

Warm Regards,

Kedar Annam

+91-8898573468
Public Policy Student | St. Xavier’s College
Climate Leader | The Climate Reality Project

“Everyone You Meet has something Valuable to Teach You”.

Dilip Damle

Sep 22, 2017, 12:31:20 PM9/22/17
to datameet
I asked this as a question on Quora and specifiacly asked Mr. Awdhesh Singh (ex IRS officer and  published author) for an answer .

Here is his answer

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-an-employment-problem-in-India-when-so-many-things-are-not-being-done-or-being-done-badly-Is-every-pothole-on-the-road-not-a-job-opportunity/answer/Awdhesh-Singh-1