International Open Data Charter: Call for Comments

sumandro

Jul 9, 2015, 2:26:53 AM7/9/15
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Greetings from the Centre for Internet and Society, India.

In consultation with a number of international organisations, the Open Data Working Group of the Open Government Partnership is developing an
International Open Data Charter, with five principles for proactive release of data by governments:

- Open by Default;
- Quality and Quantity;
- Useable by All;
- Engagement and Empowerment of Citizens; and
- Collaboration for Development and Innovation.

The Charter is primarily aimed at national governments who may adopt the recommendations of and the technical guidelines accompanying the Charter. The first public draft of the International Open Data Charter was published in end of May at the International Open Data Conference in
Ottawa.

This draft Charter can be accessed here: <http://opendatacharter.net/charter/>.

Organisations and individuals are invited to submit comments directly on the Charter page, before July 31.

As part of CIS we have already submitted our comments on an earlier version of the draft, and was very encouraged to see many of our suggestions being included in the public draft. Further, we took part in the pre-launch discussion with potential stewards of the Charter in Ottawa in late-May. CIS will function as one of the general stewards of the Charter, the final text of which is in the making.

We are very keen to facilitate discussions and consultations around the Charter document. Please let me know if you are thinking of organising any such discussions, either within your organisation/network or an open one, Also, I will be very happy to answer your queries regarding the context, the drafting process, and the objectives of the Charter, or any other related questions.

Please share this call for comments with all relevant individuals, organisations, and networks.

Regards,

sumandro

Sumandro Chattapadhyay

Research Director