Transit Map design

Dhaval Shukla

Mar 18, 2017, 3:08:24 AM3/18/17
to datameet

Has anyone here worked with transit map design?

What I mean is the minimalist maps used for metro systems around the world like delhi metro, brts maps, london metro etc?

I want to create one for the shared auto routes of ahmedabad- I have mapped quite a few of them already on QGIS- and was wondering if people had any tools/suggestions.

There are no fixed timings on this route, of course, since it runs unofficially, but I can create sample times.

Thejesh GN

Mar 18, 2017, 3:18:16 AM3/18/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
I found this useful.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Suvajit Sengupta

Mar 18, 2017, 3:25:34 AM3/18/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
The ideal one will be to capture the route information in GTFS format and then use transitive.js ( https://github.com/conveyal/transitive.js/ ) to visualise it.

Best part of transitive is that you can couple it up with leaflet and create dynamic route maps.

An example is shown here : http://conveyal.com/transitive.js/

Arun Ganesh

Mar 18, 2017, 4:15:00 AM3/18/17
to datameet
Dhaval, a few transit maps for India that I had made many years back was my first experiments with making such kind of diagrams:

Its fairly easy to make a schematic of a railway map, but gets a lot harder the more interconnections there are, like in a road based system with buses or autos. To understand the process behind such maps read this comprehensive documentation of an independent redesign of the Paris map.

The step is to get your data in place. Maybe you can share what you have collected so far?

Dhaval Shukla

Mar 20, 2017, 6:17:56 AM3/20/17
to datameet
Thanks

I'll post the routes here once I have covered them all. I've covered about 2/3rds of the routes here.

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---