Understanding Bengaluru Masterplan 2031

Arun Ganesh

Nov 28, 2017, 12:27:37 AM11/28/17
to datameet
The BDA has released the Revised Masterplan for Bengaluru (provisional) for public feedback for the next 60 days. This is the last chance for feedback before the plan is finalized for the growth of the city for the next decade.

The masterplan is available here:

An interesting part of the masterplan are the detailed landuse map, both existing and proposed. The masterplan document (pg22-30) has details on the process of how they were made.

This is the first time I have browsed through a masterplan, and the amount of data is quite overwhelming. How does an average citizen make sense of these maps to understand how it impacts them? How does one give informed feedback back to the BDA?

Nikhil VJ

Dec 6, 2017, 1:59:36 AM12/6/17
to datameet
Hi Arun,

I have similar feelings even here in Pune. The usual response of civil society I have observed is to float a report that summarizes (without detailed info like lat-long co-ordinates) what all is wrong with the plans, and then a pressure campaign to have the plan rejected. I once met someone whose Mumbai NGO had its primary, central activity to get the development plan rejected, and they were showcasing it as a major success.

That's a lot of hard work put in that gets a blanket thumbs-down. Doesn't really help in building trust between stakeholders. (we keep forgetting that the urban planners creating the plan are people too) .

If we could geo-reference the maps..
and have an interface where people can mark areas and post questions for them..
and have open discussions around them..
and get the architects, engineers etc involved in creating the plans involved in those discussions...
and also have a way of highlighting and appreciating good work done by the urban planners..
that would be nice. Some of this happens in public hearings, but a lot of details don't leave the room and I think more can be done.

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Arun Ganesh

Dec 6, 2017, 3:22:29 AM12/6/17
to datameet
That's a lot of hard work put in that gets a blanket thumbs-down. Doesn't really help in building trust between stakeholders. (we keep forgetting that the urban planners creating the plan are people too) .

Yes! With residents unaware of how this plan impacts their life, the safest approach is to join most convenient voice of resistance against the system. I'm hopeful some of us can help make some interventions that will allow a more constructive approach to city planning and this could be the chance.

Citizenmatters has a good post on decoding the masterplan which was helpful: http://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/how-citizens-can-decode-bengaluru-master-plan-draft-22296

Also following the tweets #RMP2031 has some sparse analysis: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=rmp2031

If we could geo-reference the maps..

Have done it for the existing and proposed landuse for the city level:
Doing so for each planning district would be the next step, if someone can take it up.

Tried overlaying this on OSM and the results are quite good:

and have an interface where people can mark areas and post questions for them..
and have open discussions around them..
and get the architects, engineers etc involved in creating the plans involved in those discussions...
and also have a way of highlighting and appreciating good work done by the urban planners..
that would be nice. Some of this happens in public hearings, but a lot of details don't leave the room and I think more can be done.

Building such an interface may not be too hard, we can reuse some code from the tree mapping app to add map annotations https://github.com/ocsidlab/treemap . Can help if someone gives it a start.

If its simple to use and enables a discussion, it could be pretty easy to spread the word to atleast mark corrections in the existing landuse plan.

Nikhil VJ

Dec 6, 2017, 6:44:13 AM12/6/17
to datameet

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ
+91-966-583-1250
Pune, India
Website <http://nikhilvj.cu.cc>
DataMeet Pune chapter <https://datameet-pune.github.io/>
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>

Arun Ganesh

Dec 8, 2017, 1:41:15 AM12/8/17
to datameet
Wonderful! For those in BLR, Co media lab is hosting a session tomorrow to talk about the masterplan. I'm going to do a hands on workshop to georeference maps using mapwarper so we can have every map available online.

Manu Srivastava

Dec 8, 2017, 11:48:59 PM12/8/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry to spam.
Standing at Siddiqui kabab center and unable to locate the place for last 15 mins

Can someone call me to give directions at 9886496040

Warm Regards
Manu Srivastava
eGovernments Foundation

On 08-Dec-2017 12:11 PM, "Arun Ganesh" <arung...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wonderful! For those in BLR, Co media lab is hosting a session tomorrow to talk about the masterplan. I'm going to do a hands on workshop to georeference maps using mapwarper so we can have every map available online.

Nikhil VJ

Dec 10, 2017, 8:48:47 AM12/10/17
to datameet
Hi Arun and others in Bangalore,

A Bangalore based org came across the map I made and I talked with their team today. They want to do pretty much what Arun and I have mentioned in this thread. I'm pasting their email below.. please follow up with them if you like it. Also, there is a Data-thon event happening this weekend where this project could potentially be worked upon.

Email from Ooru :

Hi Nikhil
Thanks for the discussion on phone. The BDA has recently put out its Masterplan and the data in form of huge reports and PDF maps in a remote location. in the city. Ideally the maps should have been displayed on the web/ at major places of the city - initiated by BDA or its official consultants. However this has not happened. Much of the ongoing public discussion is also very analytical limited by lack of spatial data interface to make constructive comments and share it with BDA.
Recently a group of  urban planners and data enthusiasts have got together to overcome this deficiency and we intend to share the master plan information to wider audience, help various forums to run their consultations, but with a tool that captures the information to have it sent it straight to BDA in an unadulterated manner.
Besides this we would like to bring various experts / citizens to put up their comments, etc on a website dedicated to this activity. We are in the process of doing it on web called www.ooru.in
At this point we are individuals / professionals from diverse background to do our bit to the city we live in.
What we require immediately within this week or so , as the deadline for the public consultation ends in about 45 days is :
1 Display of  maps , existing land use/ proposed land use and the earlier RMP 2015 Proposed land use maps- Georef data available in png/jpeg data.
2. Ability to overlay / transperancy between the maps
3. Search the location. Google data to start with.
4. Drop a pin with a log in ( gmail,etc) to put their comments- the comments with map information sent to designated BDA gmail id.
5. discussion thread / forum

Do suggest next step/ lead.

Regards,
Akash.M
His email id : akash.blue [at] gmail.com

--

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Arun Ganesh <arung...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wonderful! For those in BLR, Co media lab is hosting a session tomorrow to talk about the masterplan. I'm going to do a hands on workshop to georeference maps using mapwarper so we can have every map available online.

Arun Ganesh

Dec 10, 2017, 12:34:03 PM12/10/17
to datameet
The main outcome of the Saturday workshop was to crowdsource the effort to georeference all the remaining masterplan maps. In total there are 48 planning districts each with  detailed existing and proposed landuse maps. Additionally each district map is divided into 4 pages. That makes it a total of 48 * 2 * 4 = 384 map sheets.

We have documented the instructions here: https://textb.org/t/rmp2031/

Suvajit Sengupta

Dec 10, 2017, 12:42:28 PM12/10/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Great Arun !!
I wish to participate for this activity.
So, whatever maps I upload on mapwarper, I should update the Google docs for corresponding Planning District/Page No reference to the mapwarper link. Right ?

Also would like to know the plan forward to integrate the planning district wise maps onto a single platform.

Regards,
Suvajit

Sashikumar N

Dec 12, 2017, 1:32:56 AM12/12/17
to datameet
Hi Arun,
After rectification, is vectorization also in Plan? For each quadrant, any verified GCPs are available or we choose it from topoheet? In place of mapwraper rectification, Can we do rectification in qgis and upload it?

regards
sashi

Arun Ganesh

Dec 12, 2017, 6:28:27 AM12/12/17
to datameet
So, whatever maps I upload on mapwarper, I should update the Google docs for corresponding Planning District/Page No reference to the mapwarper link. Right ?

Yes

Also would like to know the plan forward to integrate the planning district wise maps onto a single platform.

For a start we may want to expand Nikhil's map https://answerquest.github.io/bangalore-landuse-existingVproposed.html with the more detailed maps when zoomed in. This would require some tweaking of the code to get right, maybe someone experienced with JS can help?

The folks at opencity.in have a vision to create a  ward level information explorer for all our cities, so that could be the final place. The have scraped quite a bit of data and making it available here: http://opencity.in/content_type/map

An additional data layer is the plot level property tax detail which indicates wether a plot is paying commercial or residential tax: http://bbmp.gov.in/geptis/web/gis/home

After rectification, is vectorization also in Plan?

Not at this time. Digitizing these maps would be a fairly large project on its own.

For each quadrant, any verified GCPs are available or we choose it from topoheet?

There are no verified gcp's, you can get a fairly good result by picking easily identifiable spots from the maps like a major junction. A visual guide for rectification has been documented: http://opencity.in/explainer/georeferencing-image-maps-on-to-a-gis-map

Nikhil VJ

Dec 14, 2017, 10:44:57 PM12/14/17
to datameet
Ok here's the page that will help you map any two geo-referenced rasters side by side and fade them over satellite view etc:

Screenshot:

By the way, in case you have done the geo-referencing on QGIS / ArcGIS and have a big GeoTIFF sitting on your laptop and don't know how to put it on the web,
1. Login to Mapbox Studio
2. Upload the GeoTIFF file as a dataset. Note the id.
3. Note your mapbox accesstoken.
4. Construct the tile URL as follows:
"https://a.tiles.mapbox.com/v4/" + mapboxID + "/{z}/{x}/{y}.png?access_token=" + accesstoken
5. Paste in the Left or Right textbox in the above page.

PS: If you liked it then click the appreciation link..

-Nikhil
Pune

Arun Ganesh

Dec 23, 2017, 8:21:09 AM12/23/17
to datameet
Found a couple of wonderful old maps of Bangalore from the British Library while trying to understand the history of my area:
The 1935 map is especially detailed and shows all the old tanks and waterways that the city has now lost. Also of interest is the location of all the original settlements and how areas like Indiranagar and Koramangala used to be 80 years ago.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

akhildev karunakaran

Dec 23, 2017, 8:51:06 AM12/23/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
wow.. that was very nice to share...dear Arun....its worthy..

----
Mr. Karunakaran Akhil Dev, M.Sc., M.Phil.

Consultant (Intern)
Kerala State Planning Board (KSPB)
Government of Kerala
Pattom,Thiruvananthapuram
----
PhD Research Scholar
Disaster Management
School of Environmental Sciences
Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam-686560
My Phone:+91 9847231604