Matching ACs to districts pre-delimitation

Rick Morgan

Jun 23, 2015, 11:30:25 AM6/23/15
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I have scraped and processed all Vidhan Sabha (1951 to present) assembly constituencies election results from the ECI pdfs and need to match the ACs to their respective districts. For the district assignments post-delimitation, I processed the final release from the Delimitation Commission's website -- pay special attention to the date of the final order and to those handful of states (Assam, JK, Manipur, etc.)  where the delimitation process was suspended. That is, I can match the ACs to districts for all election post-delimitation. Now I need do the same for the pre-delimitation elections. I understand that this is more complicated given the fact that many new districts and that a handful of states have been created since 1976. However, currently I am only concerned with the election that have occurred from 2000 - 2013, which removes the new state problem, and I am using the districts as-they-were in 2000, which helps eliminate the new district problem -- I can identify the where/which parent district the AC was part of.

OK my problem: I cannot seem to find a reliable source for the pre-delimitation elections. That is, I cannot find a usable list that identifies the district an AC belongs to nor can I find a machine-readable delimitation pdf that will allow me to do this. The shp file here http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sandip/data.html is promising, but after a close examination, it does not seem to be accurate -- many ACs are missing district matches and a handful are incorrectly matched.

Does anyone have this list -- a list of pre-delimitation ACs matched to the district they fall in?