Mapping Nepal to support emergency response.

Sajjad Anwar

Apr 25, 2015, 5:02:53 PM4/25/15
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Everyone at OpenStreetMap and HOT have been busy making sure we have
all the map data required to support emergency response in Nepal. It's
been several hours since the task got activated and we need more hands
-

If you are in Bangalore, come to Mapbox's offices and join us to
improve the map from 1PM - details here -
https://www.mapbox.com/blog/nepal-earthquake/.

If you are not, go to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake, select a job
and start mapping - you will need an account on OpenStreetMap and
please make sure to read the instructions.

We want to make sure the data that is being generated at this point is
accurate to the highest degree. Please feel free to reach out if you
have any questions.

Thank you and really appreciate your time.

Cheers,
Sajjad.

Sajjad Anwar

Apr 27, 2015, 2:28:40 AM4/27/15
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Bumping this up. We have activated few more tasks based on the
priority from the ground support staff. American Red Cross and local
aid groups are downloading OpenStreetMap data and using it to plan
rescue missions - this is huge and important.

Few Red Cross staff is taking some of the maps with them to Kathmandu
right now. https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2015-April/008102.html
The Kathmandu Living Labs is mobilising as well.

There aren't any other datasets that we can rely on at this point. See
what the status of Google Maps
http://lxbarth.com/compare/#16/27.6892/85.3237

We need more hands to knock off these tasks - http://tasks.hotosm.org/
Arun and I have put together a good starting documentation here -
https://datameet.hackpad.com/Nepal-Earthquake-Mapping-YDjLauUK0Ek

All map data is updated and packaged for download every 30 minutes -
if you know anyone going up there for rescue operations consult -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_earthquake
(paper/digital maps)

Mapbox Bangalore is open throughout this week for anyone - we are well
equipped. If you are interested in helping, please get in touch or
respond to this thread.

Cheers,
Sajjad.
--