location data of ST bus stands in Maharashtra (MSRTC)

Nikhil VJ

Jul 19, 2017, 5:32:45 AM7/19/17
to datameet
Hi friends,

Wanted to quickly check if this data is already lying around somewhere.

Here's a list of all the state transport bus stands in Maharashtra I
scrapted from an endpoint a web search threw up some time ago:

https://gist.github.com/answerquest/5d8c85a369d9c3c6d5513743995f7e78

I want their lat-long locations. Any clues?

Cheers,
Nikhil VJ
+91-966-583-1250
Pune / Mandangad, India
DataMeet Pune chapter <https://datameet-pune.github.io/
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fdatameet-pune.github.io%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNECBztMobQwaO-VA26CfRDEIm5pvg>

Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.swarajuniversity.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE_QuxUYo3lb8yrltQ7_IifSyLnug>

Blog <http://nikhilsheth.blogspot.in> | Contribute
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.payumoney.com%2Fwebfronts%2F%23%2Findex%2FNikhilVJ&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGxmVpeWf_hwVXITuldWSgE0ExgXA>

Arun Ganesh

Jul 19, 2017, 7:11:05 AM7/19/17
to datameet
There are around 1,700 bus stops and bus station locations available from OSM.

Clearly a lot more to go. Crowdsourcing atleast the bus stand locations may not be too hard since they are easy to spot in satellite imagery. Nikhil, do you know how of those in the list are bus stands vs bus stops.

On crowdsourcing, there's an organized effort to map these in the US atleast https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapathon/US_Summer_Mapathon_2017

Nikhil VJ

Jul 19, 2017, 12:18:00 PM7/19/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arun,

Thanks! btw just read an amazing article about you on yourstory <3

I was looking at amenity=bus_stop on Overpass but had not seen
highway=bus_station yet. But I put a "in Maharashtra" to limit results
to within the state. See this: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/qtM
It includes even local bus stops in cities, so that muddies the data a
bit. Still, a good resource to have.. perhaps we can retrieve some of
the stops' lat-longs from it.

On crowdsourcing map based data, I just came across these:

https://blog.mapbox.com/mapping-crowdsourced-locations-with-mapbox-and-google-docs-1e1c23abe2a2
Mapping Crowdsourced Locations with MapBox and Google Docs
>> They made a custom web form to take a map location as input, and redirected to google forms! Sweet! I've been wanting to have something like this for ages! They've explained it all quite well, but there's no code! :< Could someone find out how to make that custom web form with map input and hook it up to google forms? I actually have such a form ready but need to know how to submit the data collected to google forms.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/app-list/crowdsource/
Story Map Crowdsource by ESRI