Census of India seems to have maps of everything!

859 צפיות
מעבר להודעה הראשונה שלא נקראה

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
5 בספט׳ 2014, 13:14:285.9.2014
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I found this ppt on the web which gives in detail what kind of mapping
work has been done by the Census of India. this includes all village
boundaries and wards within villages and cities, and in select cities,
even individual buildings!

We must make efforts to get this dataset into the public domain, instead
of reinventing the wheel. Does anyone have any more information on this?

Sharad

I've linked 1 file to this email:
Mozilla Thunderbird makes it easy to share large files over email.

srinivas kodali

לא נקראה,
5 בספט׳ 2014, 16:46:235.9.2014
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, Any idea where was this presentation given? Have you tried applying an RTI?

Regards,
Srinivas

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Sharad Lele

לא נקראה,
6 בספט׳ 2014, 4:22:566.9.2014
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Found this at :
https://nsdiindia.gov.in/nsdi/nsdiportal/nsdi10/presentations/census.pdf

No, I have not tried RTI. Hoping someone else will ;-)

Sharad

Ma-roof M

לא נקראה,
11 ביוני 2015, 8:27:5511.6.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Bumping up this old thread.
Has anyone been able to access the maps prepared by Census of India? I am particularly looking for city and ward boundaries.

Thanks and Regards
Mahroof

Knowledge, that is discovered, lasts a lifetime..

Research Associate, PAS Project
CEPT University
, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009 Gujarat, India

Sudheendra Hangal

לא נקראה,
3 באוק׳ 2015, 1:37:123.10.2015
עד datameet
I would also like ward boundaries, esp. within Karnataka.
Any ideas ?

Sharad Lele

לא נקראה,
3 באוק׳ 2015, 2:06:363.10.2015
עד datameet
I have had no luck so far. Census Delhi office flatly denied the existence of any such maps, when we tried to follow up with them!

srinivas kodali

לא נקראה,
3 באוק׳ 2015, 2:43:093.10.2015
עד datameet
I don`t think, it`s census department. The maps might be collected by National Geo Informatics Framework, under the ministry of science and technology. Go to any collector`s office, you will find a map of the district from NIC geo informatics division

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

--

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
3 באוק׳ 2015, 2:57:243.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
The original claim that Census has all these maps was made on the basis of a ppt that was found online by a senior Census officer, in which he states in detail what mapping work Census has done for 2011 census. Please look up the first post in this thread.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.

nishadh

לא נקראה,
27 באוק׳ 2015, 10:13:2527.10.2015
עד datameet
This link http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011census/maps/atlas/administrative_atlas.html has (but in pdf!) census data map linked by the unique codes upto the lowest ward level. Any way to avail in shape file?

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
27 באוק׳ 2015, 22:27:1027.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nishadh;

Many thanks for pointing us to this link, where the 2011 pdf maps have
now been uploaded.

1. I could not find any urban ward-level boundaries in the pdf. I only
see taluk-wise or tehsil-wise maps in which village boundaries are
shown, and also the urban area is marked as a whole. But no ward
boundaries within the urban area. Am I missing something?

2. About shapefile: Ah! this is the eternal battle! As I said in an
earlier post, census MUST be having all these boundaries digitized, and
has in fact boasted in an internal presentation that they have
sub-ward-level maps. But they refuse to acknowledge that when we
approach them. Maybe someone should file an RTI.

Till then we have to take the shapefiles we have (such as the one I
posted for Karnataka) and update them using the pdf as a guide. (crude).

Sharad

Thejesh GN

לא נקראה,
27 באוק׳ 2015, 23:52:3827.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
I can file the RTI.  Can we edit the RTI request together

Will file the request sometime next week.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

nishadh

לא נקראה,
28 באוק׳ 2015, 3:40:2228.10.2015
עד datameet
Dear Sharad,

1. Sorry, the statement-ward level is wrong, it is village or town level. I was referring to "Town code/Village code"
in census data, which is marked in the pdf maps and it is the lowest level, unique code in the map.
The ward level data in census tables (population enumeration tables or house listing tables)
doesn't has a unique code and is linked with Town code/Village code as its serial numbers.

2. Regarding the shape file, this link would be a good start for 2001 census data village map
https://archive.org/details/IndiaVillageBoundaries. Though incomplete, the data has boundary for some 2,80,000 villages.

Regards,
Nishadh

Sudheendra Hangal

לא נקראה,
28 באוק׳ 2015, 3:55:1728.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
I very much doubt the census bureau (or anyone else) has the shape files at a ward level across the country.

I know that Hubli-Dharwad recently commissioned a company to generate shape files for their wards (that data is soon going to be made available). But if it already existed, they wouldn't have needed to.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org

Sudheendra Hangal
Associate Professor of Practice in Computer Science
Ashoka University

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
28 באוק׳ 2015, 8:06:0928.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sudheendra:

Well, you know how right hand does not know what left hand has done.

Please see the ppt that Census person made to NSDI in 2011:

https://nsdiindia.gov.in/nsdi/nsdiportal/nsdi10/presentations/census.pdf

They claim to have ward boundaries for more than 7,000 towns

Sharad

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
28 באוק׳ 2015, 9:12:1628.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Have edited the request to reflect format we use for our RTI filings.

Sharad
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.

Ma-roof M

לא נקראה,
29 באוק׳ 2015, 3:58:3129.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
ORG&CCI do have maps and are selling Paper versions and JPEG versions.
http://www.censusindia.gov.in/Maps/Map_Products/Rate_link/rate_list_for_maps.html

I am doubtful about them making available geo-referenced digital maps though, considering the National Mapping Policy 2005 ,  SoI mandate and MoD restrictions.

Kind regards
Mahroof

Knowledge, that is discovered, lasts a lifetime..

Research Associate, PAS Project
CEPT University
, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009 Gujarat, India

Dilip Damle

לא נקראה,
30 באוק׳ 2015, 2:27:2230.10.2015
עד datameet
HI,

That rate list is of 2006.
Has anyone actually purchased maps?
There is also no information how to order them.

Dilip Damle

לא נקראה,
30 באוק׳ 2015, 3:29:0630.10.2015
עד datameet
Hi,
What would be the easiest way to convert the json files to Shapefile

Thejesh GN

לא נקראה,
30 באוק׳ 2015, 3:58:5130.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
30 באוק׳ 2015, 4:03:1930.10.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Here is an update from my colleague who tried to get these maps:

I called Delhi folks. Apparently, town with ward boundary maps are not available for public dissemination at the moment for any state. He asked me to purchase the state map book (which is available online) for the all the maps they have.

Clearly, RTI is called for.
Sharad

nishadh

לא נקראה,
30 באוק׳ 2015, 7:23:5730.10.2015
עד datameet

1. Python codes can be used for converting those json files into shape files. Using geopandas library the task is simple for such a large number of files, the code goes as follows,

import geopandas as gpd
import glob
from geopandas import GeoDataFrame

jsn
=glob.glob("/home/me/raw-json-102-241/*.json")
#getting the list of json file in the folder

df1
=pd.DataFrame()
for js in jsn:
    dd
= gpd.read_file(js)
    dd1
=dd[[u'DIST_NAME', 'NAME', 'OBJECTID','STAT_NAME', u'TEHS_NAME', u'geometry']]
    df1
=df1.append(dd1)

#looping over each json file and opening it with geopandas cool tool read_file(json)

db1
= GeoDataFrame(df1, columns=[u'DIST_NAME', 'NAME', 'OBJECTID','STAT_NAME', u'TEHS_NAME', u'geometry'], index=df1.index)

#organizing the looped shape formats and converting into geodataframe
#now saving the shape file!
db1
.to_file('v102-241.shp',driver='ESRI Shapefile')

2. There is a web map service(WMS) for this same data (I am little sure!) 2001 census map upto village/town level. See this link for more info http://gis.stackexchange.com/a/115876 to use that WMS in QGIS. Here also the data is not available in readily usable format, it is available in raster format (aka pdf format!).

3. I think the RTI can be stress it out for shape files or form of data which can be "used" not only for simple "view". Moreover the RTI can be more emphasis to the demand on already published data as pdf files/WMS such as village or town level map, as the ward level map is not published, it can raise the denial of RTI.

Vinoth R

לא נקראה,
25 בנוב׳ 2015, 8:40:5525.11.2015
עד datameet
Not  sure if anyone has filed RTI. I filed an RTI with census department today.

Between my startup helps citizens to file RTI application (onlinerti.com). If you guys have any more RTI request send it to me.

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
25 בנוב׳ 2015, 11:52:5925.11.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Vinoth.

Do keep up posted on what happens!

Will circulate information about your startup, which sounds interesting!

Sharad

On 25-11-2015 16:11, Vinoth R wrote:
Not  sure if anyone has filed RTI. I filed an RTI with census department today.

Between my startup helps citizens to file RTI application (onlinerti.com). If you guys have any more RTI request send it to me.
--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Sudheendra Hangal

לא נקראה,
27 בנוב׳ 2015, 6:06:1627.11.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
At least in Karnataka, you can contact the Municipal Reforms Cell (MRC) for getting the ward-level shape files for various urban local bodies.

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
27 בנוב׳ 2015, 6:44:2127.11.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
well, we have a written request pending with MRC for the last 6 months for ward boundaries of just one town (Ramanagara). They say they cannot give them to us directly. The municipality has to request the file, and then the municipality can share it with whomsoever they want. So its just a ping-pong...

if you have better luck, please share the boundaries online.

Sharad

Sudheendra Hangal

לא נקראה,
27 בנוב׳ 2015, 8:19:4827.11.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
MRC has a new Joint Director who is supposed to be good, maybe write to him directly.

Also, suggest you try to contact the commissioner of Ramanagara.
We had no trouble getting the files for Hubli-Dharwad, thanks to a pro-active commissioner.

"Sharad Lele [शरच्चंद्र लेले]"

לא נקראה,
27 בנוב׳ 2015, 9:29:4927.11.2015
עד data...@googlegroups.com
That is how we got them for Nelamangala (through the CEO of the municipal council).

Ramanagara Commissioner was totally non-cooperative--threw us out.

Have you put the Hubli-Dharwad map out in public domain? You should.

Sharad

Justin Meyers

לא נקראה,
7 באפר׳ 2016, 11:25:067.4.2016
עד datameet
Sudheendra, do you have the shapefile data for the ward levels?

Thanks,
Justin

Sudheendra Hangal

לא נקראה,
7 באפר׳ 2016, 13:40:017.4.2016
עד data...@googlegroups.com
We have put up the KML files for the wards of Hubli-Dharwad at http://hack4hd.org/?page_id=813
(there may be slight inaccuracies at the edges, and there is some confusion in the city between administrative and electoral boundaries. But it should be largely correct to a first approximation.)

Btw, I encourage everyone to have a look at the data sets on this page -- they include civil works, bills paid, civic complaints filed etc., thanks to the cooperation of the H-D municipal corporation, I think this is the first time in India that a city has put up so much data online. We are working to capture GIS information with even more data and bring it online later this year.

Sudheendra

Sudheendra Hangal
Ashoka University

Justin Meyers

לא נקראה,
7 באפר׳ 2016, 14:28:127.4.2016
עד datameet,han...@ashoka.edu.in
Thanks; just opening up the block boundaries in Google Earth; they have a slight shift.  Easily fixed.

Thanks!
Justin

Dhaval Shukla

לא נקראה,
28 באפר׳ 2018, 7:17:3328.4.2018
עד datameet
Just wanted to bump this up to see if there are any updates.

I was trying to see if I could do visualizations similar to the ones found here https://citygeographics.org/tag/hong-kong/

While digging it looks like census has data at the EB level for only population levels, but not any other social indicator.

It would be great to have EB maps anyways, but with the data policies and all I don't know how it works.

which is back from 2006.
Current map catalogue doesn't seem to show that though: http://censusindia.gov.in/2011-common/maps.html

Has anyone bought CEB maps as shown in the 2006 rate page I have linked above? What type of permissions does one need to buy and use them?

Also, has any one any experience with microdata as found on:  http://mail.mospi.gov.in/index.php/home

Wanted to know a)If anyone

On Friday, 5 September 2014 22:44:28 UTC+5:30, Sharad Lele wrote:
Dear All,

I found this ppt on the web which gives in detail what kind of mapping
work has been done by the Census of India. this includes all village
boundaries and wards within villages and cities, and in select cities,
even individual buildings!

We must make efforts to get this dataset into the public domain, instead
of reinventing the wheel. Does anyone have any more information on this?

Sharad

I've linked 1 file to this email:
Mozilla Thunderbird makes it easy to share large files over email.
השב לכולם
השב למחבר
העבר לנמענים
0 הודעות חדשות