Polling station names and roll part names

Raphael Susewind

Apr 14, 2014, 3:20:08 AM4/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am trying to find a list that links polling station names (usually
something like "City Montessory School Room 1") and roll part names
(usually something like "Mohalla XY"), preferably in latin script.

The PDF rolls have both data on the frontpage, but a) in regional
scripts and b) usually not extractable (the encoding bug we already
discussed on this list).

electoralsearch.in shows both data if one searches with an EPIC id from
that particular booth, but they shut out mass queries (and rightly so).

Does anybody know of any other scrapable data source for this?

Best,
Raphael

--
Raphael Susewind | BGHS Bielefeld University, CSASP University of Oxford
Snail Mail | Melanchthonstr. 4a, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany

Please do consider http://www.gnupg.org for encryption (key id A5ED49AE)

Anand Chitipothu

Apr 14, 2014, 4:54:24 AM4/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raphael,

It is possible to get the polling station names from:

I have a scrap of that data I can share with you if you want it.

But if are looking for part name etc, I can't think of any other way than hitting election commission website with one query for polling booth. I don't think one query per booth should be considered mass queries. Did you try searching one the state election commission website with voter id?

Anand

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/

Anand
http://anandology.com/

Raphael Susewind

Apr 14, 2014, 5:16:44 AM4/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anand,

thanks, I have the psleci data already (its the basis for my electoral
maps). As for the part names, I have looked around on the UP CEO site,
and found that the BLO detail search function contains both part name
and station name - but for an all-India solution, I will have to slowly
query electoralsearch.in I think - so that the rate limiting does not
kick in...

Lets see,
RAphael

On 14.04.2014 10:54, Anand Chitipothu wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> It is possible to get the polling station names from:
> http://www.eci-polldaymonitoring.nic.in/psleci/Default.aspx
>
> I have a scrap of that data I can share with you if you want it.
>
> But if are looking for part name etc, I can't think of any other way
> than hitting election commission website with one query for polling
> booth. I don't think one query per booth should be considered mass
> queries. Did you try searching one the state election commission website
> with voter id?
>
> Anand
>

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Raphael Susewind
> <li...@raphael-susewind.de <mailto:li...@raphael-susewind.de>> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to find a list that links polling station names (usually
> something like "City Montessory School Room 1") and roll part names
> (usually something like "Mohalla XY"), preferably in latin script.
>
> The PDF rolls have both data on the frontpage, but a) in regional
> scripts and b) usually not extractable (the encoding bug we already
> discussed on this list).
>
> electoralsearch.in <http://electoralsearch.in> shows both data if
> one searches with an EPIC id from
> that particular booth, but they shut out mass queries (and rightly so).
>
> Does anybody know of any other scrapable data source for this?
>
> Best,
> Raphael
>
> --
> Raphael Susewind | BGHS Bielefeld University, CSASP University of Oxford
> Snail Mail | Melanchthonstr. 4a, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
> Papers & Blog | http://www.raphael-susewind.de
>
> Please do consider http://www.gnupg.org for encryption (key id A5ED49AE)
>
> --
> For more details about this list
> http://datameet.org/discussions/
> ---
>

> --
> Anand
> http://anandology.com/
>
> --
> For more details about this list
> http://datameet.org/discussions/
> ---

Raphael Susewind

Apr 14, 2014, 5:32:21 AM4/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anand,

short update: electoralsearch.in does return wrong part names (basically
they copy the station name field) at least for UP. So its back to CEO
sites...

Raphael

On 14.04.2014 10:54, Anand Chitipothu wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> It is possible to get the polling station names from:
> http://www.eci-polldaymonitoring.nic.in/psleci/Default.aspx
>
> I have a scrap of that data I can share with you if you want it.
>
> But if are looking for part name etc, I can't think of any other way
> than hitting election commission website with one query for polling
> booth. I don't think one query per booth should be considered mass
> queries. Did you try searching one the state election commission website
> with voter id?
>
> Anand
>

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Raphael Susewind
> <li...@raphael-susewind.de <mailto:li...@raphael-susewind.de>> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to find a list that links polling station names (usually
> something like "City Montessory School Room 1") and roll part names
> (usually something like "Mohalla XY"), preferably in latin script.
>
> The PDF rolls have both data on the frontpage, but a) in regional
> scripts and b) usually not extractable (the encoding bug we already
> discussed on this list).
>
> electoralsearch.in <http://electoralsearch.in> shows both data if
> one searches with an EPIC id from
> that particular booth, but they shut out mass queries (and rightly so).
>
> Does anybody know of any other scrapable data source for this?
>
> Best,
> Raphael
>
> --
> Raphael Susewind | BGHS Bielefeld University, CSASP University of Oxford
> Snail Mail | Melanchthonstr. 4a, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
> Papers & Blog | http://www.raphael-susewind.de
>
> Please do consider http://www.gnupg.org for encryption (key id A5ED49AE)
>
> --
> For more details about this list
> http://datameet.org/discussions/
> ---
>

> --
> Anand
> http://anandology.com/
>
> --
> For more details about this list
> http://datameet.org/discussions/
> ---

Anand Chitipothu

Apr 14, 2014, 6:04:07 AM4/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Raphael Susewind <li...@raphael-susewind.de> wrote:
Hi Anand,

short update: electoralsearch.in does return wrong part names (basically
they copy the station name field) at least for UP. So its back to CEO
sites...

The other thing that I've realized is that it doesn't cover all the states (AP, karnataka missing). So it won't be of any use if you are looking for all-India solution.

Anand