Public consultation on Government Open Data Use License - India

Thejesh GN

Jun 27, 2016, 11:03:41 AM6/27/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,
Draft license for data sets on data.gov.in  is open for public comments. I am yet to go through it in detail. This thread is for discussion

https://www.mygov.in/group-issue/public-consultation-government-open-data-use-license-india/

Devdatta Tengshe

Jun 28, 2016, 12:49:48 AM6/28/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
IMNAL, but Overall this license looks quite ok, except for 6.c & 6.e

Does anyone have any idea why they have kept these two things out of OpenData? As long as you don't use them to claim that these organizations endorse you, I would wants that people should be able to use them to depict the organization.

I remember that several years ago, the FBI had an issue with wikipedia using their bureau's seal in its encyclopedia entry. http://mashable.com/2010/08/03/wikipedia-fbi-seal/#G7lfD.XyKuqj

Something similar might happen, if these symbols/emblems are out of public domain.

Regards,
Devdatta

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Gora Mohanty

Jun 28, 2016, 1:08:35 AM6/28/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
On 28 June 2016 at 10:19, Devdatta Tengshe <devd...@tengshe.in> wrote:
IMNAL, but Overall this license looks quite ok, except for 6.c & 6.e

6.c and 6.e specifically do not seem too worrisome to me, but the entirety of point 6 is kind of strange: where are datasets that have personal information, patent/trademark infringements, and that the provider is not licensed to supply coming from? Is the GoI saying that should the datasets on data.gov.in include such data, it is the user's job to exclude them.

Also, 3a seems a little vague to me: what are "non-exclusive processes"? Suppose I have a website that uses such data, and requires users to log in to see the data: is that exclusive?

All, in all, kudos to data.gov.in for taking a huge step forward in making their data accessible.

Regards,
Gora

srinivas kodali

Jun 28, 2016, 2:11:24 AM6/28/16
to datameet
I understand this is a consultation only for data.gov.in, but the policy is for every department. Departments like ISRO, Customs maintain their own portals to publish large scale data. The license needs be a bit universal and can't be confined to only data.gov.in

Getting each dept. to publish it's own license would be a tedious task itself. This would potentially apply to all documents being published by government, then yes their is a risk of stumbling upon personal information which shouldn't be published on the web in the first place.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali
"Not everyone who wanders is lost, I am probably a bit"

Anant Gupta

Jun 28, 2016, 3:28:16 AM6/28/16
to datameet
When we say in point 6.f. that "Identity Documents" are barred from being licensed, does that cover any sort of names
I mean if i am able to collect a list of students in a school along with their attributes, will it violate this section?

Thejesh GN

Jul 4, 2016, 12:15:11 AM7/4/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

I have the hackpad at

I will collect all the feedback until 14th and will post it on 15th so we will have enough time to upvote.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

Thejesh GN

Jul 14, 2016, 4:47:07 AM7/14/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
I have updated the document. My only comment was

Section 6.  I think as a license it should talk about only how a dataset licensed under such a license can be used and as such license should not be defining what data can be included or excluded. I think that "inclusion/exclusion of datasets/points" should be a part of data sharing policy and not license.

I might need to rewrite that paragraph ...

Please add or edit to the hackpad  so we can send i can submit on monday.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

Sitansu Mahapatra

Jul 14, 2016, 5:58:39 AM7/14/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thejesh

Hope you have contributed the same at https://www.mygov.in/group-issue/public-consultation-government-open-data-use-license-india comment box.

Regards,
Sitansu

Thejesh GN

Jul 14, 2016, 6:09:44 AM7/14/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

I will add it there on monday.

Craig Dsouza

Jul 16, 2016, 2:42:12 PM7/16/16
to datameet
Added my comments on the hackpad.
Agree with Dev about the use of insignia,seals etc. There isn't a clear reason why this should be forbidden as long as the seals are published along with the dataset it should be ok
Also on Gora's point, non-exclusive should not preclude commercial use of data.

With respect to information containing identity it is more tricky. My initial thoughts were
I don't think we can completely argue for no exemptions, without giving a clear reason why not. Because we have to ensure personally identifying information is kept out. Since this license applies to non-digital data as well, its scope is much wider than data.gov.in. People may be given documents by government offices where a person' identity is difficult to obscure. In this case even I would support that the user who has obtained this data shouldn't publish it openly, but he should have the right to access, use, adapt the data. The only place I can imagine where personally identifying information is vital is if someone is gathering information that could criminally incriminate someone. In this case I honestly don't know what is appropriate because publishing identity is vital to exposing the crime.

srinivas kodali

Jul 24, 2016, 12:01:59 PM7/24/16
to datameet
I have some serious concerns with the type of comments being received on mygov on this subject.
  • Most people want the data to be closed. Weird as it might sound, sensitive data should be closed. These guys want everything closed and only gives access when you authenticate yourself (aadhaarifying everything). This violates the RTI act of requesting data without providing any other information apart from basic contact information.
  • Fortunately people want warranty of data. Which makes sense.
  • There were also few concerns about the making authorities liable too. Clearly you don't want them to release private data like your personal details.
Over all, number of comments requesting some form of authentication is high. Can some of you request the otherwise as you see fit, I know sometimes the numbers matter. Tomorrow 25th July is the last day to submit the suggestions.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali
"Not everyone who wanders is lost, I am probably a bit"

Thejesh GN

Jul 25, 2016, 1:24:02 AM7/25/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

Today is the last day. I want to send/upload  datameet letter. Can you guys help me review the letter.

I have the initial letter on the top of hackpad document. I have updated it, using the comments from the community.

I am planning to publish around 4pm. Please comment on the letter before 3pm.

Thej

srinivas kodali

Jul 25, 2016, 7:21:50 AM7/25/16
to datameet
Are you finalizing it? need any other help? can you share the final copy before it gets uploaded.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali
"Not everyone who wanders is lost, I am probably a bit"

Thejesh GN

Jul 25, 2016, 9:22:26 AM7/25/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
I made some small edits and posted it.

1. Please do a thumbs up
2. If something is not covered in our common submission. Please make a personal submission and share the link on this thread.
3. Today is the last day.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

srinivas kodali

Jul 25, 2016, 2:59:43 PM7/25/16
to datameet
So the notable submissions are as follows and please upvote them.

Submissions from India Open Data Association: https://www.mygov.in//comment/97347081/#comment-97347081/

These were my comments which didn't get uploaded at the last minute and turned into a blog post. Since the submissions are now over I am actually contesting the implementation of the policy itself as it is slow and is flawed at several stages. We need to look into several other issues from now. thoughts?

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali
"Not everyone who wanders is lost, I am probably a bit"

srinivas kodali

Jul 25, 2016, 3:01:44 PM7/25/16
to datameet