OpenStreetMap (OSM) Parties Hard

Tejas AP

Oct 23, 2016, 12:51:18 AM10/23/16
to datameet

In the world of OpenStreetMap (OSM), a mapping party is a social event where a group of mappers come together to map particular geographical area. It is usually conducted over a weekend, and is welcoming of novices and seasoned mappers alike. Mapping may be done through uploading GPS traces or by tracing over satellite imagery in a web browser-based editor. The format of these parties is fairly open. A typical session consists of pre-selecting an area/assets to map. In the spirit of co-creation of assets, I want to invite those interested in mapping to come and map together. I am eager to meet new mappers, collaborate, share, and learn.

A party will be organized every week (Saturday afternoon) until the end of the year at the Center for Internet and Society (CIS), and an invite will be shared on a weekly basis. For the party on hosted on October 29, please RSVP here:  https://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Parties-Hard/events/fxgtcmyvnbmc/

The mapping parties will be hosted as a part of an independent research project initiated at the International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore (IIITB), which aims to study the mapping practices within the OSM community. For more information on the research, please email me at tejas.pande(at)iiitb(dot)org