[Urgent] Pre Budget meeting on the 11th

Nisha Thompson

Dec 8, 2017, 9:32:44 AM12/8/17
to datameet, DataMeet Pune, DataMeet Ahmedabad, organizers
We have been invited to the Pre Budget meeting again. The meeting will be on Monday we have to write a document like last year.

I've attached what we presented last year. If there are new developments you would like to add, like datasets or policies that need to have an open data perspective that would be helpful.

If you have any editions please add them to this thread.

Thej will be representing us this year.

Nisha

--
Nisha Thompson
DataMeet.org

RecommendationstoFinanceMinisterPreBudgetMeeting-DataMeet10122016.pdf

srinivas kodali

Dec 8, 2017, 10:30:29 PM12/8/17
to datameet
One of the important developments is to highlight the need of Open Data for Artificial Intelligence and stressing on relaxation of copyright/issuing licenses to Government owned data at-least as a start part of improving economic activity.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

srinivas kodali

Dec 10, 2017, 1:03:53 AM12/10/17
to datameet
More points which can be presented during the pre-budget meeting.

1. The Economic Survey of 2016-17 briefly recognizes the importance of data standards in e-governance. “National Centre for e-Governance Standards and Technology” (NeST) has been tasked with the responsibility of technical support to notify new e-governance standards. We request these standards be promoted by default in IT procurement and building of e-governance projects under Digital India program. We recommend capacity building inside various government departments be increased with training on the emerging e-governance and data standards.  Storage of data using e-governance standards brings interoperability and increases efficiency in IT management.

2. As part of the IT procurement the data storage and ownership of data is not always with the Government departments responsible for it, but data rights maybe stored and owned by private players who may not archive this data post the end of tenure of the IT project. Often the reason for this is lack of storage space or server capacity within government departments. We recommend IT grants be given to every government department to archive and maintain data for long-term use.

3. Ministry of Commerce has constituted a Task Force on Artificial Intelligence for Economic Transformation this year. We would like to bring attention to the need for various open data sets in different sectors for innovation in the space of Artificial Intelligence. The availability of open data has helped fuel innovation in various parts of the world, Google Maps was a direct result of NASA opening LANDSAT satellite imagery in public domain.

4. There is a vast amount of non-personal Government data in the public domain which is continuously collected to perform various scientific and administrative tasks within the Government. Lot of private startups and companies are unable to realize the full potential use for these data-sets due to lack of licenses for data sharing, copyright limitations of government owned data. We request relaxation of copyright on government owned data by issuing data licenses for certain specific use cases in public interest.

5. Various state governments are increasingly adopting the National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy (NDSAP) within their respective states to promote government transparency and also Innovation. Sikkim, Telangana, Tamilnadu and Orissa have adopted data policies part of their governance. Telangana is promoting innovation in data further, to help bring data skills and create jobs part of various data policies. We find the lack of interest by various state governments to adopt NDSAP or any data policy is due to lack of funds to promote the space and weak capacity in government departments. To help NDSAP or data specific policy be adopted by all major states, the ministry can provide incentives in the form of project specific grants under Digital India for each state to build a State Data Portal on the lines of data.gov.in

6. Cyber Security and Privacy are more important now than ever with India transitioning into a Digital Economy and the Supreme Court's decision on Fundamental Right to Privacy. With a Data Protection Bill expected to be enacted in the next financial year, we recommend the government to increase capacity in the space of data protection in various government departments and follow the National Data Sharing Policy in classifying data-sets into various categories of open data,  sensitive personal data to manage data publication effectively.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

Thejesh GN

Dec 13, 2017, 11:06:46 AM12/13/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
Meeting went on quite well. Here is our final submission[1]. We also sent a one page summary to the ministry[2].

Regards,
Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Vaishnavi Jayakumar

Dec 11, 2019, 11:22:07 PM12/11/19
to datameet
Apparently social sector consultation happening this year on 23rd December 2019. Has Datameet been called?

Perhaps we should do a post budget exercise after the budget so we can compare asks with allocations.