Census 2011 Data

Dilip Damle

Jun 11, 2015, 7:55:31 AM6/11/15
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Visiting the group after a long, long time.
Hope everyone is fine

I just noticed that data.gov.in now has a lot of data on census 2011
Thought of informing people who may not have noticed it.

Rgds
Dilip Damle

Sarath Guttikunda

Aug 23, 2016, 8:24:23 AM8/23/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Good evening.

The all India files are not complete on data.gov.in, at least the fields I am looking for.

Question - http://www.censusindia.gov.in/DigitalLibrary/Tables.aspx is where the tables from census surveys are, but the site is not opening. Keeps saying server busy - for the past two days.

Any other way to access the files?

With regards,
Sarath

--
Dr. Sarath Guttikunda
http://www.urbanemissions.info

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Devdatta Tengshe

Aug 23, 2016, 9:04:42 AM8/23/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Someone had collated & shared this data as a Strata .dta file a couple of years ago. That dropbox link is dead right now, but I could probably share it with whoever needs it.

I can't share the link with the General Public, since it's a Large File, and it will easily eat through my Dropbox Bandwidth limit.

Regards,
Devdatta

Thejesh GN

Aug 23, 2016, 12:11:12 PM8/23/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dev.

We have it on Archive.org now

Its large and hence best way to download is to use bittorrent feature of archive.org

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:721F2628070593F017C2BEC98EDAEE87A122E853

It might take a while for archive.org as it was still under process.

I was able to open the smallest file with pandas using just two lines

import pandas as pd
reader = pd.read_stata('/home/thej/Downloads/pca_census91_st_dist.dta')

I think you can also use AM if you like GUI

If someone can make a note of what data looks like. I will add it to the description.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com