update to pincodes data

Avinash Celestine

Apr 30, 2016, 7:48:45 AM4/30/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Came across this site a week or so ago : http://pmjdy.gov.in/g-i-s.aspx.

This site, which is part of the PMJDY (jan dhan yojana), has geolocations for post offices among others. There are 1.42 lakh post office locations given in this map. I have tried to match these locations to actual pincodes from the list of post offices given in data.gov.in

I managed to match about 1.35 lakh. About 7k-8k are unmatched.

So we have 1.35 lakh post office locations with associated geocodes and pincodes. Another 7k-8k can be done with a little effort. still working on it.

regards
Avinash

Indranil Gayen

May 2, 2016, 1:09:47 AM5/2/16
to datameet
Hi Avinash,
Great work. I was trying the same thing but with the help of Google's Geo-coding API.
But I am just wondering how do you get data from http://pmjdy.gov.in/g-i-s.aspx in csv format?

Avinash Celestine

May 2, 2016, 1:37:48 AM5/2/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Indranil,

you cant get it readymade in csv format unfortunately.

when you select a state, you have to inspect the data thats loaded into your browser (using something like Chrome dev tools).

for this particular page, the data is loaded in json format. Just save it offline in a file. from there you essentially write a script to convert that to csv or use an online tool like this : http://konklone.io/json

regards
Avinash

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Indranil Gayen

May 2, 2016, 2:36:29 AM5/2/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Wow that's a great job. I was trying out Google's API. I'll match the same with your result and report the similarity.

Thanking you
Indranil Gayen

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.