PIN code maps

Samuel Rajkumar

Mar 9, 2012, 3:00:43 AM3/9/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I do recall seeing a list of pincodes and locations (
http://pincode.datameet.org ?) on the datameet site, that is no longer
available.

Was wondering if somebody has a dump.

Regards,

Aditya Sengupta

Mar 9, 2012, 3:29:53 AM3/9/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
This is available now. I think there were server issues a short while ago (I was unable to reach the server too).

S Anand

Mar 9, 2012, 3:46:30 AM3/9/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
Apologies -- appengine's new limits are a bit stifling. The application's exceeded the data read operations. I guess only one person can do a dump on any given day.

The next reset is in 23 hours -- guess that's around 1pm IST tomorrow. You could try then :-)

Regards,
Anand

Aditya Sengupta

Mar 9, 2012, 3:49:10 AM3/9/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
@Samuel: Consider cloning this (or dumping your data from here): https://github.com/sanand0/pincode

(Anand, this is the same data, correct?)

Samuel Rajkumar

Mar 9, 2012, 4:45:20 AM3/9/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys. Will get it from Github.

Regards,

S Anand

Mar 9, 2012, 8:26:29 AM3/9/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
Only the code's on Github, I'm afraid. The data's not.

If any of you extracted the data today, please pass it on, and I'll upload it into Github.

If not, we could download this tomorrow.

Regards,
Anand

Aditya Sengupta

Mar 9, 2012, 8:42:38 AM3/9/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
Ah- I thought this was a copy of the data on GAE:

https://github.com/sanand0/pincode/blob/master/data/IN.csv

Aditya Sengupta

Mar 9, 2012, 8:50:50 AM3/9/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
BTW- there is another interesting PIN Code related project here: http://www.getpincode.info/

This project is very nicely done, but does not seem to have any licensing information (that I can find).

Pranesh Prakash

Mar 14, 2012, 1:08:51 AM3/14/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
Oh data gods: is there anything out there linking pincodes to
Parliamentary constituencies?

~ Pranesh

Aditya Sengupta [2012-03-09 19:20]:

--
Pranesh Prakash · Programme Manager · Centre for Internet and Society
PGP: 0x1D5C5F07 · @pranesh_prakash · http://cis-india.org

signature.asc

Arjun Ram

Mar 14, 2012, 8:15:47 AM3/14/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
Nope but it can be figured out if you use the pincode db with lat/longs and the parliamentary constituency shape files that EC used to host on their site.

@AntarYaami

Mar 20, 2012, 2:03:54 AM3/20/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
I think @prolificd has a list. We've used it previously. Although the delimitations need to be reconfirmed. Will check and confirm

Pranesh Prakash

Jun 20, 2014, 11:03:09 AM6/20/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I'm sorry for necrobumping this thread, but did anyone ever get around
to building that database of PIN codes by constituency? I'm guessing
the spurt of work around the Lok Sabha elections might have finally
resulted in this.

Cheers,
Pranesh

@AntarYaami <karth...@gmail.com> [2012-03-19 23:03:54 -0700]:

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society

signature.asc

Dilip Damle

Jun 23, 2014, 9:18:26 AM6/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello to all,

BTW now that the pin codes is being discussed

How many distinct Pincode numbers exist?

That itself seems a big question.

I had done some scraping and downloading long back and have reached this figure  from multiple sources

Distinct Pincodes  Excluding Armed forces = 29595
Distinct Pincodes  Including Armed forces = 34896

Number of post offices about 154000

Could there be many more than that ?

I will share the data after proper cleaning up and verifying and adding some data from one more source which is yet to be cleaned.

rgds

Dilip Damle
(New Delhi)

Balaji Subbaraman

Jun 23, 2014, 9:24:48 AM6/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com

There should be 22911 PIN Code.

http://knoema.com/wqrhkud/statewise-pin-code-list-for-india

Regards

Balaji

http://knoema.com

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Devdatta Tengshe

Jun 23, 2014, 9:33:50 AM6/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dilip & Balaji
can you share the source where you got the above figures?

When I Look at the Pincode data available on data.gov.in, I get  barely 19,100 unique pincodes.

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe

Dilip Damle

Jun 23, 2014, 11:41:44 AM6/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I will share the complete details and data after cleaning up and organising them.

One  important source was this

http://www.machwan.com/knowledege

The other was scraping from India posts website

I will take some time and will share the data in a few days

Dilip Damle

Jun 23, 2014, 11:43:13 AM6/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, June 23, 2014 7:03:50 PM UTC+5:30, Devdatta Tengshe wrote:
Hi Dilip & Balaji
can you share the source where you got the above figures?

When I Look at the Pincode data available on data.gov.in, I get  barely 19,100 unique pincodes.

>>> That is the reason I said it is a big question

Message has been deleted

Dilip Damle

Jun 23, 2014, 2:47:26 PM6/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Please see these two links (There are many more )

http://pincode.indiaonline.in/Index.html

http://ind.postcodebase.com/

I think there is no publicly known definitive answer  to the question

" How many pincodes are there?"

Rgds
Dilip Damle

Arvind Shivakumar

Jun 24, 2014, 12:44:10 AM6/24/14
to Data Meet
Can we use RTI get us the accurate public info ?

Arvind
--
Have you heard about sustainable, responsible and cruelty free living?

Pranesh Prakash

Jul 11, 2014, 12:16:03 PM7/11/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
As per the data on data.gov.in (which it has received from the
Department of Posts),[1] there were

19078 pincodes and 154823 post offices as of June 15, 2013.

[1]:
http://data.gov.in/catalog/all-india-pincode-directory#web_catalog_tabs_block_1

Arvind Shivakumar <arvind.s...@gmail.com> [2014-06-24 10:14:08 +0530]:
> Can we use RTI get us the accurate public info ?

The government department involved in this would be the Department of
Posts (Postal Directorate). Specifically, it seems to be the Mail
Business Division of the Postal Directorate that handles pin codes.

The public information officer (PIO) for the Mail Business Division is:

Director (Mails), Department of Posts, Dak Bhavan, New Delhi-110116.

since s/he handles:
"6. Plan Projects under 11th Plan: Wet lease of Freighter Aircraft,
Setting up of mail Business Centres, Setting of Automatic Mail
Processing Centres, publicity for re-designed pin code and National
Address Date Base Management System." and
"14. Policy on Pin Code and Pin Plus etc. and their Popularization."

http://www.indiapost.gov.in/
http://cept.gov.in/

You could also write to Deputy Director General (Technology), Department
of Posts, who is listed as the Data Controller for the information on
data.gov.in

mailto:balasub...@indiapost.gov.in

Cheers,
Pranesh