India GIS Data Update/ Questions

Justin

Aug 22, 2017, 9:59:13 AM8/22/17
to datameet
Hello Datameet! Haven't spoken to you all in a while. Several months ago I shared a complete 2011 villages dataset. Has anyone used it, added any metadata/ updates?

Has any open gis data come to light in India? Telanagana's new districts? Any new admin 1,2,3,4 boundaries?

Any new neighborhood gis data?

Anyone have a trustworthy 2001>2011 census code table?

Thanks, talk soon!

Nikhil VJ

Aug 24, 2017, 1:52:29 PM8/24/17
to datameet
Hi Justin,

I don't know whether you had anything to do for the source of this one (pls share a link to what you had shared earlier!), but we've been working on village boundary level data in Maharashtra. Here's a wiki documenting it:

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

J M

Aug 24, 2017, 1:54:01 PM8/24/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Nikhil,
Hello, there are two different India data sets I'm working with, and Maharashtra has their own unique villages. Do you have the raw geospatial data for the working dataset you currently are working on? I can send you what I have so you can compare records and attributes. I typically work with shapefile data

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.

Nikhil VJ

Aug 24, 2017, 2:22:26 PM8/24/17
to datameet
Hi Justin.
Even we got shapefile only; worked in QGIS with it. I don't know if there's supposed to be more raw stuff than that. This shapefile had both 2001 and 2011 census codes. The link I gave will lead you to the files if you give it a little time :D

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ
+91-966-583-1250
Pune / Mandangad, India
DataMeet Pune chapter <https://datameet-pune.github.io/>
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>
Blog <http://nikhilsheth.blogspot.in>

Justin

Aug 24, 2017, 4:34:48 PM8/24/17
to datameet
Maharashtra: https://github.com/justinelliotmeyers/official_maharshtra_india_village_boundary_shapefile

This is the highest quality data I have seen for here

Nikhil VJ

Aug 25, 2017, 12:27:08 AM8/25/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Yep, this is good, and the license text from MRSAC being there is
significant. There is a column to differentiate between village, gap
etc which may also be very helpful. It's only having census 2001 code
though, so will have to work on matching with 2011 codes.

Thanks Justin, will look into this in coming days (other folks in MH
and into mapping, join in!).
The totals will be important to compare across this and other datasets
like census data.

Would you have similar data for Madhya Pradesh too? (checked your
github, didn't find it there)
> --
> ---

J M

Aug 25, 2017, 5:46:04 AM8/25/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Yes, by chance did you see I uploaded the entire India Village data set? That is by far the most detailed data said I have seen out of India besides this data set. Let me know what you think about that area or if you have any specific questions or concerns thanks

On 8/25/17, Justin <justinell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maharashtra:
> https://github.com/justinelliotmeyers/official_maharshtra_india_village_boundary_shapefile
>
> This is the highest quality data I have seen for here
>
> --
> ---

Cheers,
Nikhil VJ
+91-966-583-1250
Pune / Mandangad, India
DataMeet Pune chapter <https://datameet-pune.github.io/>
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>
Blog <http://nikhilsheth.blogspot.in>

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Avinash Celestine

Aug 28, 2017, 3:44:54 AM8/28/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
enclosing a mapping of 2001-2011 village / town codes. these files were retrieved from http://egovstandards.gov.in/code-directories-of-generic-data-elements-for-land-region-codification (link at bottom), quite some time back, though that link no longer works.

the big 'missing link' here is urban ward to ward mapping across 2001-2011

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Avinash Celestine <avinash....@gmail.com> wrote:
enclosing a mapping of 2001-2011 village / town codes. these files were retrieved from http://egovstandards.gov.in/code-directories-of-generic-data-elements-for-land-region-codification (link at bottom), quite some time back, though that link no longer works.

the big 'missing link' here is urban ward to ward mapping across 2001-2011

Dilip Damle

Sep 19, 2017, 9:06:51 AM9/19/17
to datameet
HI,

You people must be already aware however this website has some good data.

http://lgdirectory.gov.in/

Its directory has the census 2001 to 2011 code mapping also.

Justin

Sep 19, 2017, 9:14:55 AM9/19/17
to datameet
Dilip,
That has some nice data in it; but it isn't a 1-1 relationship and is missing a lot of information. I would love to have a dataset that has both 2001/2011 information in it, but I honestly don't know if that would ever be possible. The way the census bureau and the soi have village boundaries and codes, they just do not work.

I am really hoping to create a full village dataset, but need help. I put a bunch of data online for everyone to tinker with and see if it is correct, or what is wrong with it.

I am hoping that the datameet people can team up with some of the mapbox people and we can start to create a stable dataset - just not sure the best way to implement such a project. We could even build pincodes in it and have a working village, pincode, admin 1,2,3, etc dataset.

I know it is a crazy thought to build such a dataset, but I want to help and think it can be done. Where do we start!?

Dilip Damle

Sep 19, 2017, 10:22:17 AM9/19/17
to datameet
HI,

I am also currently working on one very small project for village boundary level.

I have used the mapping 2001 > 2011 and found it matching. (at my need level)

There were two sources which had that mapping let me check and get back on the other source.

In the meantime have a look at the attached file.
rdir.7z

nishadh

Sep 19, 2017, 10:46:57 PM9/19/17
to datameet
Hi Justin,

I am in need of such data. The dataset having 2001-2011 will be much helpful in understanding air pollution emission from residential fuel consumption. Census of India 2011 has sample data on every village with number of houses using various fuels for cooking or lighting purposes. Data linking 2001 and 2011 housing listing table with spatial information could be a great data set in preparing high resolution air pollutant emission inventory for country level and studying temporal change.

A good start for such scale data compile can be linking it with project on datameet village maping http://projects.datameet.org/indian_village_boundaries/

Regards,

Nishadh

J M

Sep 19, 2017, 10:48:58 PM9/19/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
This is not complete for all of India. The boundaries are also heavily generalized.

Thanks for the update

nishadh

Sep 19, 2017, 11:26:08 PM9/19/17
to datameet
Thanks for the update, may be analysing case by case in state level could give ways to merge your repository with this project. I am trying to work on it.

Dilip Damle

Sep 20, 2017, 3:24:06 AM9/20/17
to datameet
>>This is not complete for all of India. The boundaries are also heavily generalized.

I think a Good enough Spatial data for useful boundaries, I mean a usable  boundary at ground level Does not exist. At least in digital form.

I am working on a Block in Uttrakhand and trying to make as good as possible Georeferenced Village map.

From the different versions on data available there is an area variation from about 25% to 200% and even more in rare cases

So the village boundaries tell only the following.

1. The general shape of village

2. The adjacent villages in correct orientation.

Beyond that it is UNRELIABLE so the question of a Good quality boundary is far too away.

The situation may differ from state to state and location to location.

Here is the area variation. In hectares The total block area matches reasonably

Village Number GIS AREA  Revenue Records Area
2 144.43 46
13 65.26 60
15 65.57 41
17 80.66 72
20 263.73 21
22 32.89 18
24 35.74 29
28 80.37 81
32 115.64 94
36 38.47 19
41 197.96 93
49 53.27 61
65 116.32 75
66 222.39 91
69 186.58 180.00
77 88.32 92
78 172.03 88
79 38.98 20
81 140.46 63
94 50.20 43
99 76.21 82
100 82.24 77
101 281.56 335
102 447.84 622
103 163.20 243
104 225.56 98
105 77.61 61
106 191.88 132
107 166.23 161
108 419.17 497
109 179.60 178
110 114.45 53
111 129.30 129
112 190.41 72
113 152.22 180
114 214.67 244
115 51.76 78
116 193.90 267
117 133.99 96
118 233.88 224
119 106.42 81
120 89.75 51
121 120.77 92
122 70.04 84
Total Block  26784.47 25947
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to datameet+u...@googlegroups.com.

J M

Sep 20, 2017, 5:37:44 AM9/20/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dilip,
Can you send your boundaries? I can send back what I have so you can compare and tell me if they are truly good enough

Thanks
Justin

Thanks

Dilip Damle

Sep 20, 2017, 7:44:29 AM9/20/17
to datameet
Hi,

Will send in a day or two privately. I have at least two versions.

J M

Sep 20, 2017, 8:03:33 AM9/20/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
thanks. As soon as you send it, I can compare with what I have and send you two or three versions of villages for that area.

I know sometimes generalized data for boundaries is good enough. But the higher quality, more detailed data going into any dataset would be best. Then you can generalize if it is too big or you do not need for analysis purposes. But people become very upset when their boundaries are not displayed correct, or when you tell them they are in one village/ city but are actually in the next town or two over.

Thanks for your help!

Justtin

Dilip Damle

Sep 23, 2017, 1:23:00 PM9/23/17
to datameet
HI,
I have sent it as a private response

Justin

Sep 24, 2017, 8:52:57 AM9/24/17
to datameet
Dilip,
I never received it? Can you e-mail me? justinell...@gmail.com

Thanks

Justin

Sep 25, 2017, 9:10:25 AM9/25/17
to datameet
Dilip,
I just saw the e-mail in my SPAM folder. Replied to the e-mail. Thanks!