rainfall data from S. India

Robin Vijayan

Feb 6, 2014, 9:57:02 AM2/6/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am looking for raw (daily or monthly summary) rainfall (and temperature if possible) data from a few towns - Kodaikanal, Munnar, Valparai, Ooty, Kothagiri and Coonor. Ideally for any 10 years.

I am not looking for interpolated data (or long term averages) such as at http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/hrg/ or worldclim.org but for actual raw data.

I searched through datameet's message history and found my way to IMD website where I figured that they do have stations in all of these locations, but there seems to be a lengthy procedure (also expensive) to get it.

The Hindu newspaper publishes daily data from these locations but an email to their editor got no response.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Robin

Pavan Srinath

Feb 6, 2014, 10:06:08 AM2/6/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
IMD or state economics departments are your best bets for long term station data. Even the 1x1 daily rainfall gridded datasets are fairly useless in hilly areas.

The one alternative is to try and get data from tea/coffee estates in the region. We got some great data from a coffee planter in Wayanad a couple of years ago.

Regards,
Pavan
--
Pavan Srinath

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/

Emmerich Davies

Feb 6, 2014, 9:02:47 PM2/6/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
From a friend "i would say imd or the delaware data (http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.UDel_AirT_Precip.html) is your best bet. but the latter is very raw and needs to be matched to district lat/lon coordinates."

Robin

Feb 8, 2014, 6:10:49 AM2/8/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Emmerich and Pavan! Will give the IMD a shot and report back if there are any pleasant surprises with processing time.

Cheers
Robin

Robin

Apr 16, 2014, 11:40:48 AM4/16/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,
I just wanted to report back that IMD was surprisingly easy.
A specific email request (in their specified format) got a response with a price quote in a week. And two weeks after I sent a draft (DD), I got the data by email.
Haven't explored it yet, but looks promising - from 1906 for many stations.
Cheers
Robin
PS. Other researchers & plantations have still not responded with data :)