Demonetization related data

Nikhil VJ

Nov 26, 2016, 1:34:28 AM11/26/16
to datameet
Hi Friends,

It would be good to collect data relating to the ongoing
demonetization, especially geographic related. I'll start with some
basic questions; please add in yours too.

Prefix: Might there be any kind of data on...

1. Quantities of old notes being given in at banks etc, and where
they're being collected.

2. Quantities of new notes being dispatched.

3. Mechanisms of dispatching : is the branch-wise allocation decision
happening at central level, or at a decentralized level? How is it
being decided what quantities will go where?

4. Are below-Rs.100 denominations also being printed in any increased quantity?

These questions are simple, but if we can get answers disaggregated to
district, sub district and perhaps even village/town level (following
census codes?) then we'd have some great data to analyze and visualize
on a map, and it could also yield insights on other patterns, like
extent of monetization of communities, bank accounts, etc.

Also, one cross-referencing type question:
Is the sum value of the new notes being printed equal to the value of
the old notes being deposited? If so, how, considering that the new
notes need to be printed well in advance. Has there been any declared
net currency infusion or decrease? (This ties in to inflation /
deflation related matters)

Note: There's already so much for/against going on elsewhere, so I
suggest that in this thread let's not digress and instead let's just
focus on finding and getting the data out which would then contribute
towards informed opinion formation etc elsewhere. Of course, we're
also better off not getting into the whole "if you support this then
why are you asking for data" conversation :P . Please feel free to
start another thread for side discussions (if complying with group
norms i.e.)

Cheers,
Nikhil
+91-966-583-1250
Pune, India
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>
Blog <http://nikhilsheth.blogspot.in> | Contribute
<https://www.payumoney.com/webfronts/#/index/NikhilVJ>

Curran Kelleher

Nov 27, 2016, 6:51:34 AM11/27/16
to datameet
Hi Nikhil,

One interesting angle would be the number of deaths related to demonetization. I have seen a number of news articles regarding apparent suicides and elderly having medical problems in bank queues. This dataset would be extremely powerful, and could be gleaned if several folks collaborated to pull this data out of the news. A line chart could be made of the sum total of the deaths over time if we have a date for each event. Also we could answer the question, till now how many deaths have been related to demonetization? A simple Google search for "demonetization deaths" provides a starting point for gathering this data (death toll seems to vary from 33 to 55 till now).

Would be interesting to have columns in a data table like the following for each death incident:
  • Date
  • City
  • State
  • (lat, long)
  • Original reference URL
  • Description
  • Male/Female
  • Age

Best regards,
Curran

Thejesh GN

Nov 27, 2016, 6:50:05 PM11/27/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

I have created a hackpad to collaborate.

https://datameet.hackpad.com/datameet-Demonetization-related-data-1zvnAv01ugE

Regards,
Thej
--
Thejesh GN ⏚ ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

srinivas kodali

Nov 27, 2016, 9:17:34 PM11/27/16
to datameet
The following sources have in/direct economic/banking/trade data/indicators available in India.

1. Statistics on ATM's, Cards, Online Transfers published by NCPI/RBI http://www.npci.org.in/stats.aspx
2. RBI data warehouse with many economic indicators https://dbie.rbi.org.in/DBIE/dbie.rbi?site=home
3. Export Import Trade raw data from customs dept. https://icegate.gov.in/DailyList/DL

you probably need to read about most of the economic indicators as they are not relatively straight forward and the relationships are quite complex.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

Kushal Shah

Dec 2, 2016, 1:21:51 AM12/2/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Has anyone collected data for the exercise?

Regards,
Kushal

srinivas kodali

Dec 2, 2016, 1:53:39 AM12/2/16
to datameet
There is some routinely collected data of customs for the last 50 days until they shut down the portal. Its raw data, you will need to write a script to analyze them.

Srikanth Lakshmanan

Dec 2, 2016, 8:25:25 AM12/2/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

Sagar

Dec 3, 2016, 2:52:31 AM12/3/16
to datameet
They're releasing data on a daily basis as per the press release you've shared Srikanth but they've forgotten to release the October statistics yet!

Interestingly from comparing November data to September, August, July etc., doesnt seem that demonetisation has resulted in significant changes in electronic payment systems usage. One would assume that there would be a huge spike in Prepaid Payment Instruments and in usage of Credit and Debit Cards at POS

Sagar

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Regards
Srikanth.L

Srinivasan Ramani

Dec 3, 2016, 5:01:59 AM12/3/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
I am a bit confused too. The release doesn't say if the data sources are consistent in the past and for November and hereon.