Census village to polling booth matching

Raphael Susewind

Apr 17, 2014, 6:53:18 AM4/17/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I vaguely remember that some people are working on matching census
villages to polling booths, and wonder what progress they made. As some
of you know, I am currently doing this India-wide through an automated
spatial matching algorithm - but before releasing the result, it would
be nice to assess accuracy of this procedure more thoroughly.

The key problem I face is that polling stations are often not named
"village X" but "primary school founded by Y" - so that name matching
does not help too much in validation (certainly not in urban areas).

It would be better to check against roll part names (thus my email about
those a few days ago), but best would be if anyone has a manually
matched table of polling stations (2014 IDs) against PCLN (2011) or MDDS
(2011) census codes with which I could compare my results - if only at
the example of one state, or a few districts.

Alternatively, if somebody has too much time too offer and is familiar
with any specific district in greater detail, I could send along a
matching table for this district to see how well it fits. Please get in
touch in a direct mail in this case...

Any other ideas how to validate the matching table welcome,

Best,
Raphael

--
Raphael Susewind | BGHS Bielefeld University, CSASP University of Oxford
Snail Mail | Melanchthonstr. 4a, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany

Please do consider http://www.gnupg.org for encryption (key id A5ED49AE)