Legal Action if we scrape data from govt websites

Sandeep Kumar

Oct 17, 2017, 3:03:53 AM10/17/17
to datameet
I come across many govt websites where data is available to download in parts and if i download it using a scraper, what kind of legal action can i face.

Devendra Damle

Oct 23, 2017, 5:25:57 AM10/23/17
to datameet
You can safely scrape data if all you're doing is running an iterative algorithm to go through links and download data. As long as you are not messing with the server or breaking into somebody's account or changing the data it is OK. I know researchers who routinely scrape data from courts and tribunals' websites.