Updated Taluk Shapefile!!

Justin Meyers

Jul 17, 2014, 1:45:26 PM7/17/14
to data...@googlegroups.com

Devdatta Tengshe

Jul 17, 2014, 9:19:41 PM7/17/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,

Can you let us know what was the procedure to create this file, and this is accurate upto which date?
I'm asking this shapefile has 2739 sub districts, and according to the census, there should be 5564.

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Justin Meyers <justinell...@gmail.com> wrote:
https://app.box.com/s/486rvabh3sjviiynbyu4

Cheers!

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Justin Meyers

Jul 17, 2014, 10:57:17 PM7/17/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Devdatta,
Sorry I didn't type that up.  I just finished processing it and was excited and posted.  The previous file i posted had 2,693 features.  This file has 2,739 features.  Initially I thought the data was relevant to 2001, but maybe it is 1991 (I have no metadata, the Indian government does not respond to my e-mails (I have sent at least a dozen, but they do not respond)).  I am not certain of the exact source, it is hosted by the Bhuvan (who do not respond to emails either....).

As per any processing, I took the data and sorted the attributes (it was a long string all attached as one - so i split it and created the fields).

Any other questions?  If you know of a more current dataset please post!!

Devdatta Tengshe

Jul 17, 2014, 11:17:33 PM7/17/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,
I know the euphoria that one has when one has done something new. It's one of the best things in the world.

If the original source you mentioned is Bhuvan, then the files came directly from Survey of India. I have used those files before, and as you mentioned there were only some 2000 Odd features in it.

There are not from any specific era. Some tehsils in the file were created post 2001, while others created in the 90's were not present.

The only exhaustive source I know, is the Census Administrative Atlas. They have maps in PDF format, not in shapefiles, and I had used it to create the district shapefiles which are shared on the datameet github repos.
Sometimes I feel I should get started on digitizing those pdfs. It shouldn't take more than 40 hours.

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe

Justin Meyers

Jul 17, 2014, 11:28:18 PM7/17/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Devdatta,
Thanks for the quick response. I thought the files originated from the Survey of India, but wasn't certain.  I started to create a villages dataset, but the tehsils do not really align with what the 2001 census villages state their respected tehsil parent is...  So I am assuming all of the data from the gevernment is a mix bag (spelling may be off, codes may be wrong/ outdated, data may be mixed between years).  What a mess!?!?!  As per rectifying and creating maps based off the PDFs, I'm not sure I would do that.  The lines they have for boundaries are very, very generalized.  Also, I tried (a few years ago) to line them up with actual vector data, and there is a huge shift (i was using WGS84 vector data, so maybe I should have reprojected).

Maybe it would be best to start top down or bottom up.  So either build a dataset from villages up to states or states down to villages.

Thoughts?  We need some official data though (which seems impossible to find...).  But anything is possible, right!?!

Cheers,
Justin

Devdatta Tengshe

Jul 17, 2014, 11:45:29 PM7/17/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,

It's very hard to look at Survey of India Digital Data and preserve your sanity. As you have found out, the boundaries of different Administrative levels do not match. There are many reasons for this, and not all of them are solvable.

The boundaries in the PDFs are generalised no doubt, but if one takes care while digitizing at the correct scale, one shouldn't have much problems. See the district shapefiles on the github repo. They were made from a top down procedure. I used the PC boundaries for the country and state boundaries. The individual district boundaries were made by referring to these very Census maps, as well as tehesil boundaries. I also used an custom tool which I have developed, which helps in cutting one polygon based on another polygon, which tremendously cut down the time I spent on creating these internal boundaries.So while the district boundaries might be generalised in some cases, that the best, updated shapefile I know of today.

Having worked with government departments, I have learnt that getting data itself is a big task.Any data is a boon. And once I get the data, I don't expect it to match anything else. With this paradigm, the Census maps are a goldmine for me.

Regards,
Devdatta

Justin Meyers

Jul 18, 2014, 12:16:31 AM7/18/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Devdatta,
Yikes!  I was really hoping there was some dataset(s) out there that actually made sense...  Even the census tables from the http://censusindia.gov.in/ have duplicates, and it isn't always clear what record should be used.   Some of the village level data I have seen shows the wrong tehsil code in a central town (lets say the town code is 33333333xxxxxxxx, all the surrounding villages have codes that are 33444444xxxxxxxx).  I have worked with some wild data in the past, but India seems like a nightmare.What it will most likely come down to is that it will make sense that it doesn't make sense... if that makes sense!?!

I think I need to collect my thoughts with all this and re-calibrate. I have a couple ideas, but I tried them and the results didn't make sense (so maybe they are correct (makes sense that it doesn't make sense...!??)).

I'll keep you posted.  If you come up with anything, or additional resources, please let me know.

Cheers!
Justin

Justin Meyers

Jul 18, 2014, 9:46:00 AM7/18/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Devdatta,
I lined up a map (spent 5 minutes, might be able to do it a little better if I spend more time) for Orissa.  I used a district shapefile from their government (or potentially the SOI), I believe it has a custom projection.  They had it up a few weeks ago, then the website disappeared...  I rectified, then used a unsupervised classification, then vectorized.  I haven't gone in and cleaned up the data, but do you think this would be worthwhile developing?  I would rather have software do all the work than actually tracing lines myself - Let me know your thoughts.

Justin

Justin Meyers

Jul 25, 2014, 11:17:03 AM7/25/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Devdatta,
Do you have and taluk boundaries from 2001?  I just created some (have 5204 features as of today).  I am doing a lot of processing to fill in the gaps.  I think I might be able to get the 2001 taluks sometime soon, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Justin

Dilip Damle

Jul 26, 2014, 12:35:13 PM7/26/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,

Sorry for butting in

The situation you are mentioning could be because there are some villages that are Enclaves.
There are enclaves even at state level where some villages Belonging (administratively) to state lie completely inside (geographically) and surrounded by another State.
I was perplexed by this when I studied the Parliamentary Constituency data in detail.
I had put a post on this topic where Mr. Devdatta and Mr. Lele confirmed the same. I think in these cases you will have to look at it case to case.

Brij Sharma

Nov 16, 2016, 12:02:50 PM11/16/16
to datameet
On Thursday, 17 July 2014 19:45:26 UTC+2, Justin M wrote:
> https://app.box.com/s/486rvabh3sjviiynbyu4
>

> Cheers!

Hi Justin, Greetings!

Can you please share Indian Sub-district shape file with me. The latest with around 5564 sub-districts.
I already have one from DIVA-GIS which has only 2299 sub-districts. Thanks.

Justin M

Nov 17, 2016, 10:51:32 AM11/17/16
to datameet
Brij,
A new dataset I have has a little over 5,300 featues for subdistrict.  I do not know the source of the data (*believe is SOI).  I have written them yesterdays and asked about the metadata/ copyright on the data.  If I do not hear back from them I may just post and then the end user is responsible for the way they use it.

thanks

Brij Sharma

Nov 19, 2016, 3:34:52 AM11/19/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,

Thanks a lot for this wonderful work. I think, it will work for me. I look forward to the version you are going to upload. Do you have any timeline, when you are going to upload it?

I checked the previous link you have left on that discussion page but that link was broken or removed. Please let me know when you upload it.

Again, thanks a lot for this wonderful work.

Kind regards
Brij

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

swati...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2017, 4:16:23 AM1/19/17
to datameet

Hi Justin,
Can you please share the updated 5300 sub-district file with me. The one that I have has only 2299 sub-districts
Thanks
Swati

Kartik Desikan

Jun 20, 2017, 9:27:23 AM6/20/17
to datameet
Dear Justin and others,
Can anyone send me a working link for Taluk shapefiles?
Also current shapefiles that I've seen don't have "Hubli-Dharwad M.Corp@" taluk mapped correctly (karnataka is of primary interest for me).

Regards
Kartik

abhishek rajan

Mar 2, 2018, 9:39:54 AM3/2/18
to datameet
This link is not working. Requesting anybody with a taluka level shape file of India as per census 2011.

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 at 11:15:26 PM UTC+5:30, Justin wrote:
https://app.box.com/s/486rvabh3sjviiynbyu4

Cheers!

Justin

Mar 2, 2018, 9:56:06 AM3/2/18
to datameet
I have it somewhere, I will have to look. I am starting to map India again, so as soon as I find it, I will share it.

Thanks,
Justin

Nikhil VJ

Mar 4, 2018, 10:14:22 AM3/4/18
to datameet
hi friends,

just sharing some food for thought.

if sub-districts (even the names change place to place) aren't centrally decided and instead are decided by respective state governments,

Then the chances of having both an all-india shapefile,
And having an accurate one at that,

Are not high.

You might find better fortune in going state by state.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

J M

Mar 4, 2018, 10:18:41 AM3/4/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
Anyone want to build a complete/ current admin 3 dataset with me?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.

Dilip Damle

Mar 5, 2018, 10:05:35 AM3/5/18
to datameet
Hi Justin,

I could chip in.

I am good at cleaning up thing using multiple tools. My favorite is AutoCAD and AutocadMap.
Then import export in what ever formats that is required preferred in Shapefile.

On Mar 2, 2018 8:26 PM, "Justin" <justinell...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have it somewhere, I will have to look. I am starting to map India again, so as soon as I find it, I will share it.

Thanks,
Justin

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Dilip Damle

Mar 5, 2018, 10:12:43 AM3/5/18
to datameet
HI,

We need to take something as a base reference
Census 2011 MDDS database is a good starting point.

We could also look at LG (Local Government) Directory which is also comprehensive

With that as a starting point and some cleanups we can clearly define the Tables.

Then make the polygons match those tables.

Any deviations from there could then be taken separately.

J M

Mar 5, 2018, 10:29:35 AM3/5/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dilip,
I think I might try to start a top down approach with most populated state. Provide several admin 3 datasets, then work through them, keeping best boundaries, standardize attributes, then merge together. Starting with Uttar Pradesh, or where anyone from Datameet would like to start or is familiar with. Im not certain how current information from lgdirectory.gov.in is, but they have amounts of different levels of admins. The census site was down yesterday, but I know so much has changed since the 2011 census... So this will be a fairly large project. What state are you thinking we could start on, or does from most populated to least populated sound okay to you?

Cheers,
Justin

Dilip Damle

Mar 5, 2018, 11:19:47 AM3/5/18
to datameet
Hi,

I just had a look at the LGdirectory data.

It IS an updated Data.

I checked two states UP and GOA .

WRT 2011 census

Now UP has 14 more Subdistrict Codes

Goa has 1 more

They also have a mapping of 2001 Census to 2011 Census and the present (to whatever date)

The new subdistrict codes are in the range of 6000+ so it appears that they are given at the All India level from the highest onwards.

Will get back later on other aspects.

May be the DATAMEET team that works on the village maps will have better information.

Ideally if the village maps are correct then it should be a simple merge. But reality may be more complex.

Justin

Mar 5, 2018, 2:18:46 PM3/5/18
to datameet
Im looking over Goa from the http://lgdirectory.gov.in/. The new subdistrict is Dharbandora. for some reason when looking at the villages under this new subdistrict the information is missing from these two villages (previously in Ponda): Usgao (CT) and Gangem.

So I think the LGdirectory will help, but I think we have to understand it can be missing information and not up-to-date.

Still looking for other resources for Goa.

Naveen Francis

Mar 5, 2018, 11:42:26 PM3/5/18
to datameet

Dilip Damle

Mar 6, 2018, 12:12:53 AM3/6/18
to datameet
I checked the two villages they are in Ponda. Also inquired locally. They are in Ponda. Today's as well as about 6 month old LGdirectory also says same thing.

Thejesh GN

Mar 6, 2018, 1:14:12 AM3/6/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
I can create a DM github project if guys like to maintain something.

Let me know.

Regards,
Thej

Thejesh GN ⏚ ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

J M

Mar 6, 2018, 7:27:02 AM3/6/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dilip,
So those are still in Ponda and not in  Dharbandora? Just double checking. Thanks!

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

J M

Mar 6, 2018, 7:34:51 AM3/6/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thej,
Thanks for helping! I still want to figure out the plan for this. Beause in creating the admin 3s, we will have to play some games with village boundaries (sometimes villages split to update the new admin 3s.I think a state by state approach is best. Once we determine a state is finished, then any new additional states we add should be seamless with finished states, so i think evaluationg the state boundaries at the same time would benefit the project. I dont think we need to go crazy with this, but just walk the boundary against imagery and make sure nothing is shifted. I have seen several datasets where the majority of the data is correct, but several sub districts/ districts seem to all have a subtle shift in them.

As per uploading raw gis data, what is the best approach? google drive, dropbox, etc? Or diretly to a repo/ issue on Github? I think comparing any data I have, to datameet, to any individuals who would like to share data, then compare, make a list of pros/ cons to the data, then determine best data, datasets to use, then verify amounts, check topology, etc, then finalize it.

If anyone wants to add ideas, or a process how to do this, please do! I appreciate evryones help with this and am excited to try and create something that would help everyone in India looking for this data.

Cheers,
Justin

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "datameet" group.

Dilip Damle

Mar 6, 2018, 10:25:01 AM3/6/18
to datameet
YES
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to datameet+u...@googlegroups.com.

J M

Mar 6, 2018, 10:29:35 AM3/6/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
okay, I built the new district to include them based on an article I saw. Thanks for double checking. I think I want to test out a few smaller states like this to make sure I do it wrong before I do it right!!

Ideally I like to find official maps to help verify, but didnt find any yesterday for Goa. I know I wont be able to find many maps, if any current ones at all.

I think we have to create these based on a few things, including 2011 census as a starting point, village boundaries as potential updates to any new subdistricts post 2011 census, and the lgdirectory information. Ideally if we can find any other official lists of current amount from states/ districts/ etc, it would be helpful to double check amounts.

Dilip Damle

Mar 6, 2018, 10:40:57 AM3/6/18
to datameet
HI,

My thought in the work flow for the process is like this.

Study the tables at Village level for the Whole of India by comparing multiple sources.

Three sources come to mind first 1. Census 2011, 2. LGB Directory 3. The new data shared by Naveen on Land records

Most important fact that I feel is though the Second Admin and Third Admin keep changing the villages by far remain the same.
Not many new villages will be Created or Cease to exist

SO having the latest data (TABLE) at village level is most important.
We could freeze it up to a level and then for everything that is not clear we can have a remark at village level

We can do this for all of India together

--------------------

After this start with working on the polygons ...

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:48:46 AM UTC+5:30, Justin wrote:
Im looking over Goa from the http://lgdirectory.gov.in/. The new subdistrict is Dharbandora. for some reason when looking at the villages under this new subdistrict the information is missing from these two villages (previously in Ponda): Usgao (CT) and Gangem.

So I think the LGdirectory will help, but I think we have to understand it can be missing information and not up-to-date.

Still looking for other resources for Goa.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Dilip Damle

Mar 6, 2018, 10:44:25 AM3/6/18
to datameet
Hi,

Thanks Naveen
Looks interesting

Justin

Mar 6, 2018, 12:01:06 PM3/6/18
to datameet
Thanks Naveen! I just saw this message; I know that site came out a while back, but it seems to be more complete than what I recall. Thanks for sharing!!

Do you know if any of the maps mentioned in it are available somewhere on the site, or referenced somewhere?

Thanks!
Justin

Dilip Damle

Mar 6, 2018, 1:16:54 PM3/6/18
to datameet
HI,

I am a Native of Goa so I knew some contacts and from them I got a list of Villages for the new Subdistrict before I saw them on LGB

The Village maps for Goa made by DATAMEET seem to be good. I checked for my area.

Thanks to that Team once again

Justin

Mar 6, 2018, 1:22:44 PM3/6/18
to datameet

Justin

Mar 6, 2018, 10:29:58 PM3/6/18
to datameet
Dilip,

Thanks!
Justin

Naveen Francis

Mar 6, 2018, 10:33:30 PM3/6/18
to datameet
Hi Justin,

Bhunaksha (Indian Cadastral Mapping Solution) is the solution that provided by central govt for state govt.
Some states are running this.

NCOG (https://ncog.gov.in/) is what central govt is now using for tracking projects.
They have taluk and village layer.

Thanks,
naveenpf

J M

Mar 7, 2018, 2:48:10 AM3/7/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
Naveen,
Thanks for providing this resource. I will look in the morning.

Cheers,
Justin

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Dilip Damle

Mar 7, 2018, 4:32:33 AM3/7/18
to datameet
HI,

Margao is a Town/City and not a village.

I just crosschecked that the towns with (M CI) category are not included in the LGB Directory.

Town with ( CI ) designation are there

Dilip Damle

Mar 7, 2018, 4:37:54 AM3/7/18
to datameet
IN some resources it may be named as Madgao which is the correct pronunciation. Railways uses this name.

There is a separate town which is Marmagoa or MOrmugao which is actually locally pronounced as Murgao
This is separate

So there are two different towns with confusing names

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormugao

The first one is a port city

Sharad Lele

Justin

Mar 7, 2018, 8:46:15 AM3/7/18
to datameet
think im close to cleaning up majority of villages > subdistricts. I think Naroa split to 05611 and 05612 (05611 is Tiswadi and 05612 is Bicholim). still a few weird things I have to troubleshoot and account for. I just want to see how much of a process this will be, but for as much time as I put into just Goa, I know larger states will take quite some time... Cheers!
Justin

Justin

Mar 8, 2018, 2:23:33 PM3/8/18
to datameet
I think this is going to be a huge project, but very excited. Still working on Goa, and it has been challenging. I have been finding a lot of small issues in verifying village names from two village datasets, and updating missing names in one. some of the 50K Open Series Maps have helped, but still small strange things happening here and there. I've reached out to several govt agencies in Goa asking questions, but highly doubt they will help. I will have Goa wrapped up this weekend certainly, but it is just taking longer than what I thought. I could do my dissolves now and just create the admin 3 (subdistrict) but want to properly account for the village boundaries I do have so those would be useful in the future.

Does anyone have any other states they want to start looking at? Also, the SOI OSM download site is a bit annooying to work with, kicks me off here and there. Downloaded most of what I have needed so far for Goa. Anyone have any other OSM maps they can share?

Thanks!!

Dilip Damle

Mar 9, 2018, 1:06:42 PM3/9/18
to datameet
HI,

I just had a look at the files you sent. There are some differences.

You could send me a list of doubts (may be a pm) and I will have a look on weekend.

J M

Mar 9, 2018, 1:20:06 PM3/9/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dilip,
I'm finding quite a few differences; im the middle of editing all of them now. Panaji is a bit tricky ;)

Once I finish, I will share. Not really finding any detailed maps or data for Goa; maybe I should have started with an easier state!

Justin

Justin

Mar 9, 2018, 1:56:25 PM3/9/18
to datameet
Dilip,
Do you know where I can find a detailed boundary map for Tiswadi Subdistrict?

Thanks!
Justin

Dilip Damle

Mar 10, 2018, 12:57:31 AM3/10/18
to datameet
I would not know what would be authentic
How about this wikipedia map

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Tiswadi_taluka_in_North_Goa_district.png

Justin

Mar 10, 2018, 6:41:57 PM3/10/18
to datameet
I found some; thanks for looking though!

Justin

Mar 21, 2018, 10:26:59 AM3/21/18
to datameet
I finally found the file... Sorry this took me so long: