India Locations Question

Justin Meyers

Jun 10, 2014, 5:44:47 PM6/10/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
hello,
I am finding conflicting information when it comes to administrative divisions within India.  It seems different parts of the nation have different boundaries. I have found this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_India That lists them as:
1)zone (**Not sure if people refer to these)
2)states and union territories
3)regions (**Not sure if people refer to these)
4)divisions
5)districts
6)subdistricts
7)blocks, hobils, villages, etc
8)potentially neighborhoods

So my question is this, if you are from India, how do you refer to location? Do you say "I am from this village, this sub-district,this district,and this state/ union territories"?

or is it more common for people to refer to sub-district, district, and state?

I would think people would say they are from a specific village, then build up the name with sub-district, district, and state.

But I am not sure.

Could anyone help?

Thanks!

Thejesh GN

Jun 10, 2014, 10:15:31 PM6/10/14
to data...@googlegroups.com

I generally use

Village - taluk - district - state.

I have seen many using the same in government documents and in sales papers.

--
Thejesh GN ⏚ ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Justin Meyers

Jun 10, 2014, 10:39:32 PM6/10/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  i have found a list of what I believe is all villages here:http://censusindia.gov.in/2011census/Listofvillagesandtowns.aspx  and have downloaded them in csv format.  Where can i find latitudes and longitudes for the villages?  Also, where may i find gis data for taluk boundaries?
Cheers!

Shafeeq Rahman

Jun 11, 2014, 12:45:35 AM6/11/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dear Justin Meyers

Standard classification of India is based on census which is:

For Rural Area: Village/Sub District (also called Tehsil, Talluka and Mandal etc)/District/State/India
For Urban Areas: Ward/Town/Sub District (also called Tehsil, Talluka and Mandal etc)/District/State/India

For village-wise maps, you may check http://gisserver.nic.in/cen/default.asp

Regards,

Shafeeq

Justin Meyers

Jun 11, 2014, 3:13:19 PM6/11/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Shafeeq,
Thank you for the information and help.  I am beginning to find government sources of villages with gps coordinates (latitude and longitude), but the amounts aren't on a national level (there should be roughly 600,000 villages total in India as per the 2011 census and a few other official data sources).  Do you know where I can find a gis dataset or a government website that has a list of all the villages, village codes, and their latitude/ longitude?

Thanks,
Justin

Dilip Damle

Jun 12, 2014, 2:51:39 AM6/12/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I think Lat Lon For every village is difficult
However this is where you can get all codes

https://egovstandards.gov.in/village_details

This is where higher divisions are listed

https://egovstandards.gov.in/code-dirctory-land-region-codification

They are as per a standard named MDDS

Rgds
Dilip Damle
(New Delhi)

Nisha Thompson

Jun 12, 2014, 10:58:19 PM6/12/14
to datameet
Water Resource Information System has village shapefiles

You can do lat long manually.... i don't know if that helps.

Also districts change all the time.. the census list won't be up to date.

Nisha
--
Nisha Thompson
DataMeet.org

Dilip Damle

Jun 13, 2014, 1:28:15 AM6/13/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
hello,

Thanks Nisha for the wris link

I was pleasantly surprised to in their registration that they recognise a "Freelancer"

About the MDDS I feel though the districts keep changing the Code for Village / Town should not change.
If it changes then the system is useless.

Rgds

Dilip Damle

rajesh

Jun 13, 2014, 2:23:32 AM6/13/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

I downloaded Gujarat data and got 18,513 villages.
Any ideas of translating district codes to names and sub-district (taluk) to names?

Has anyone seen this: http://www.citypopulation.de/php/india-gujarat.php ?
It has boundaries for all districts and GPS for all cities/towns. Some villages also can be found (appear as towns, i guess).

Anyway of scraping LatLon from here?

Justin Meyers

Jun 13, 2014, 7:57:19 AM6/13/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dilip, Nisha, and Rajesh,
Thanks for the update.  I signed up for the WRIS website a few weeks ago and have downloaded some data.  It has a extreme limit set on the amount you can download per day.  I have contacted their agency, but they have not responded (in well over two weeks).  Rajesh, you said you downloaded data for Gujarat.  Do you have village polygon/ point shapefile data?

Thank you all for your help.

Any other additional ideas where to find latitude/ longitude information for villages?

I just found state, district, and taluk shapefiles yesterday from the Indian Government if anyone is interested.

Thanks!
Justin

Thejesh GN

Jun 13, 2014, 10:24:04 AM6/13/14
to data...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Justin Meyers <justinell...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just found state, district, and taluk shapefiles yesterday from the Indian Government if anyone is interested.

Please do share. We can upload it to github for future reference.

Thej

Nisha Thompson

Jun 13, 2014, 1:47:40 PM6/13/14
to datameet
The people to contact are

Dr. Sharma
Dr. Bera

They are on the Bhuvan and WRIS teams.  They are really very nice, but between ISRO and Survey of India's map policies there isn't much they can do regarding making more shapefiles available.  From my previous conversations with WRIS they have said they could make non sensitive ISRO data available, lat/long village points could be one of those datasets, but we'll have to ask.  It might be worth reengaging them and making a few requests.

They have an office in Jodhpur, Hyderabad, and New Delhi, might be worth a meeting between them and some people on the group.

They attended an open data camp a few years ago.  I have their contact if anyone is interested in getting a few people together and having a meeting.

Nisha

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Justin Meyers

Jun 13, 2014, 2:13:03 PM6/13/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Nisha,
Thank you for the information.  Do you have their e-mail addresses by chance?  I live in the United States and cannot travel any time soon, so I cannot visit their office.  What is the ISRO?  Does anyone here have a good relationship with them and could ask for village latitudes and longitudes?

Thanks!
Justin

Devdatta Tengshe

Jun 13, 2014, 10:03:41 PM6/13/14
to data...@googlegroups.com

Hi Justin,
Their email addresses are as follows :
Dr.  Bera
abe...@gmail.com

Dr.  Sharma
jrsh...@hotmail.com
jrsha...@gmail.com

Given the agreement that they have signed with the Survey of India, I don't think they are legally allowed to share this data,  but you can try asking.

Regards
Devdatta

Dilip Damle

Jun 14, 2014, 3:21:30 AM6/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

There could be other methods to get the Data If only Lat lon are required

The geocoding apis and sites could be used

I tried this site

http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com/batch-geocode

and got the following results for some small village locations near my village

"original address",latitude,longitude
"valpoi",15.531934,74.137209
"bicholim",15.6,73.95
"mayem",54.01526,-9.428937
"koparde",16.920824,73.945534
"bambar",28.172352,76.678809
"nanorem",15.578093,74.205214

Some of them are wrong but can be filtered using Inside Criteria on Subdistrct boundaries

There are other geocoding sites including Google Maps

Justin Meyers

Jun 14, 2014, 8:08:51 AM6/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Devdatta,
I have sent out the e-mails this morning.  I am hoping to hear back from them soon.
Thanks!
Justin

Justin Meyers

Jun 14, 2014, 8:11:23 AM6/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dilip,
I am looking for more of a official government or national/ state agency dataset.  Like you said some of those points are off, then I would have to see if they are in the proper subdistrict, and do a whole bunch of other checks.  Thanks for the idea though!
Justin

Esha Zaveri

Jun 14, 2014, 2:39:01 PM6/14/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,

This is in reference to the state district and taluk shapefiles you mention. I've been trying to get my hands on these, and wondering if you sourced these from WRIS or GADM and for which year? The latter, I believe, corresponds to 2001 and is freely available.

Thanks,
Esha
--
Never again will a single story be told as though it's the only one. There can never be a single story, there are only ways of seeing

Justin Meyers

Jun 15, 2014, 2:55:59 PM6/15/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Esha,
The data is from bhuvan.http://bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in/

I am not certain of the year.

rajesh

Sep 5, 2014, 7:36:50 AM9/5/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I could not find the translation for district and sub-district codes on the same site.

On vlist.in i can manually click on each district, subdistrict to get code and then village codes.
There seems to be several new village codes on http://vlist.in (t has 18676 villages for Gujarat) which are not there in https://egovstandards.gov.in/village_details (18513 villages0

Can we trust vlist.in ? To be the latest? Some have new codes like 80xxxx.

Any ideas of automating the scraping of data?

Thanks,
Rajesh

Sharad Lele

Sep 29, 2014, 8:06:31 AM9/29/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the discussion on what sub-district codes stand for (something that had also popped up in another thread (Sumit Mishra's dataset), here is what I have from Census as a explanation/index for sub-district codes.

Sharad
Subdistrictcode_Annex1_1991to2001.pdf

Sharad Lele

Sep 29, 2014, 8:48:03 AM9/29/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
A followup query to the group: I saw in this thread references to village boundary shapefiles on Bhuvan website. Did anyone actually manage to download those? Nisha had mentioned that ISRO policies prevent full data sharing. So what dataset HAVE people been able to download regarding village boundaries in particular?

Sharad

Nitin Verma

Apr 24, 2015, 8:35:18 AM4/24/15
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I am looking for latitude/longitude data for all taluks (tehsils) of india (and if possible, villages). Did anyone manage to obtain/form such data?

Thanks in advance,
Nitin

rajesh

Sep 14, 2015, 12:19:14 AM9/14/15
to datameet
<using an old thread, please advise if its better to create a new thread>

I am trying to work on gathering data on water sources (rural) and sewage discharge (urban) and struggling with both the data and structure.

The use case (based on Shafeeq's suggestion) is:
RURAL: choose a state first, then the district, then sub-district, then village. In Gujarat, we add a textbox for faliya (not in db)
URBAN: choose a state first, then the district, then sub-district, then town, then ward.

My choices are to:

1. keep one table for both towns and villages and mark towns as 'urban'. Then when they select the town (internally marked as urban) present an additional dropdown for ward.

2. keep separate tables for towns and villages and present urban/rural checkbox at the sub-district level and then choose which data to put in the dropdown based on whether user checks urban.

I prefer 1, but am struggling with names and data. Bangalore has both rural and urban and villages are transitioning from rural to urban. It seems cleaner to ask the user whether they are entering data for urban or rural.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Rajesh