Standard Format Sharing Weather/AQ data

Thejesh GN

Mar 24, 2016, 7:50:31 AM3/24/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
We have various communities across India generating Environment Data (like Temp, Pressure, Air Quality etc). They all are very generous and releasing data under generous licenses. But they all are releasing in different formats, units, variable names etc. Its also a personal itch, I have set of sensors generating data and I am not sure which format to use for API and for historical data.

But to use it (specially live data) we need to have a standard format. As part of Open Data Camp, Bangalore, 2016 - Pollution Party. It would be great for the community to come together and create some kind of Open Environment Data Format.

We could even reuse the existing one or build on existing one if the format & its documentation is available under generous license (Public Domain, CC0, CCBY or CCBYSA) .

The initial documentation

Add to the documentation above and also we can use this thread to discuss.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

nishadh

Apr 7, 2016, 3:45:32 AM4/7/16
to datameet

There is Sensor Observation Services(SOS) standard defined by Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) 1,2. As sensors are gathering weather/AQ data, SOS gives set of web interface to define sensor metadata(sensor capability, parameters monitored, time interval, units etc), data query (standard API form), add or remove sensors in the network which can be used to share the data in web. Other than this, its metadata specification enhances the interoperability of data much needed for using the data for societal/scientific requirement such as taking decision using the data. Moreover SOS is a part of OGC’s sensor web enablement specification, the standard directed for ‘internet of things’ and intended to play much larger role in spatial data infrastructure. We can compare the service as similar to web mapping service and other geospatial data standards which enables extended usage of volunteered geographical information systems and its product such as Open Street map.

SOS implementation in Python and JAVA are available in FOSS mode.