Need help regarding pincode boundaries in India

RC

Oct 19, 2016, 10:56:40 AM10/19/16
to datameet
Dear all, please help me regarding the pin code boundary of India. Is there any spatial database available that has pincode boundary (polygons) covering states, districts, villages or cities?

Thanks
Ravi

srinivas kodali

Oct 19, 2016, 11:07:22 AM10/19/16
to datameet
No. You can look into the pincode hell hack-pad for more information

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

RC

Oct 19, 2016, 11:31:50 AM10/19/16
to datameet
Thanks Srinivas for the quick response.

I was actually shocked when i came to know that few companies has such spatial data - pin code boundary (in polygon) for whole of India. And they are selling this. I couldnt understand the logic of how they have created this dataset!! what could be the source? Even if they have considered village boundaries for villages but what could be the logic for a city - ward boundaries? not sure !! These companies dont reveal the details.

If there is any one who has interacted with a Post officer in this regard, pls share your experience.

Thanks
Ravi

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 8:26 PM, RC <ravic...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all, please help me regarding the pin code boundary of India. Is there any spatial database available that has pincode boundary (polygons) covering states, districts, villages or cities?

Thanks
Ravi

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Devdatta Tengshe

Oct 19, 2016, 12:04:39 PM10/19/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ravi,

There are always a lot of schemesters around. Just because someone claims something, doesn't mean that it has any validity.

When the post offices themselves don't think of pin codes as mutually exclusive and completely covering polygons, It is a big mistake to believe these kind of data vendors who are just trying to sell snake oil to unsuspecting organizations.

I'll request you to go through the hack pad as well as all the treads on this topic, where we have discussed these issues ad nauseam

Regards,
Devdatta Tengshe