GIGW 2 ? Website accessibility without document & multimedia accessibility!

Vaishnavi Jayakumar

Jun 6, 2017, 9:43:27 PM6/6/17
to WE the PwD Egroup, Nirmita Narasimhan, Srinivasu, rak...@maxability.co.in, Shilpi Kapoor, Sathasivam Kannupaiyan, Shankar Subbiah S, Jayshree Raveendran, Ankit Jindal, rama_c, DRA EGROUP
Hey Asif and others who this is marked to,

Any news on the updated version of the GIGW ? Going for the compliance hearing of the Madras High Court PIL 29214/2015 today though I haven't yet managed to reach the petitioner.

Vaishnavi

Only 38 of 7,000 govt websites disabled-friendly, says petitioner
6/24/2016

Chennai: Of the 7000 such websites, only 38 of them have made the cut.  This unfortunately leaves an estimated 70 million disabled people out ‘Digital India’ initiative, aimed at simplifying governance. The disconnect in enabling web services came to light after a physically challenged petitioner, A Syed Ansari from Avadi, moved the Madras High Court in 2015. He had missed out applying for the civil services exams because the site meant for it was not disabled friendly. He had sought the court to direct the government to maintain its websites as per National Informatics Centre (NIC) standards.

The disabled use various assistive technologies to browse the Web. However, if a website is not constructed as per the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), the assistive technology fails to help those it is meant for. The NIC’s Guidelines for Indian Government Websites (GIGW), makes it mandatory for all government websites to conform to the international accessibility standards, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.

The government’s failure to respond to the High Court’s notice prompted it to rap the agencies concerned, with a threat of imposing costs. When the counters were filed the first bench led by Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul, said, “We are not satisfied with the response from the Central Government as to what the time period is or who is monitoring the whole issue.” The NIC then initiated the ‘Development of Common Minimum Framework for Government websites’ to convert 100 sites as feature rich and GIGW compliant websites.

Only a fraction of them been are disabled friendly. When the case came up for hearing recently, the first bench comprising Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice R Mahadevan wondered if government agency intends to complete the task only by the next century, and granted a year’s time to finish the process.

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM, <mohammed....@in.pwc.com> wrote:
Dear vaishnavi and all,
I did provide input to Department of electronics & IT onGIGw and I understand the file is with Ministry of Personnel for notification.
I was told that NIC has developed content management framework which also incorporated accessibility and vendor has to build/ design system on this platform itself.
Let me also do some deep dive and find out the current status through my network.
Thanks and kind regards
asif

Mohammed Asif Iqbal
PwC | Principal Consultant (Manager) | Consulting
Direct: +91 (0) 33 4404 3111 | Mobile: +91 (0) 98 3005 9830
Email: mohammed....@in.pwc.com
PricewaterhouseCoopers Private limited
56 & 57, Block DN
Sector V, Salt Lake
Kolkata 700091
http://www.pwc.com/in

From:        Vaishnavi Jayakumar <jayakumar...@gmail.com>
To:        DRA EGROUP <d...@groupspaces.com>, WE the PwD Egroup <weth...@googlegroups.com>, Ankit Jindal <ankitj...@gmail.com>, "ankit_j@deoc in" <ank...@deoc.in>, disability-studies-india <disability-studies-india@googlegroups.com>
Date:        19/05/2017 11:43 PM
Subject:        [WeThePwd:1939] Re: Accessible version of Niti Ayog Action Plan document
Sent by:        weth...@googlegroups.com

NITI AAYOG Draft Three Year Action Agenda, 2017-18 to 2019-20
This is NOT entirely accessible, graphs and bookmarks need work,
It IS however readable as text.
It's in book format, so facing pages, But it's been checked with a screen reader, and it is reading top down correctly.
NO thanks to NITI Aayog for this. To get to this has taken many days, wasted too much of time and necessitated much jettisoning of ego..
Inaccessible Source : Gibberish text version at
http://niti.gov.in/writereaddata/files/coop/ActionPlan.pdf

This is thanks to a person at NIC who pointed me to the social media private party who pointed me to the design agency.
All of that should have taken a sum total of 15 minutes and 1-3 phone calls. Instead this maddening paper chase.
Srinivasu Chakravarthula Rakesh Paladugula Shankar Subbiah Shilpi Kapoor The Centre for Internet and Society Satendra Singh Enabled In
Nilesh Singit Asif etc,
1.        We need to not only get GIGW 2.0 to mandate document accessibility but ideally get National Informatics Centre to create a tool which will check document accessibility before it's uploaded.

2.        AND strip the compliance certificates from the likes of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India and Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, MSJE who are amongst the worst offenders on the document accessibility front.

3.        AND mandate passing an online learning course on accessibility to whoever lands tenders / contracts of ANYTHING to do with communication.
Who has the draft GIGW 2 document? Asif?