Study on Indian Railway Accidents

Vijay Sapkal

May 15, 2018, 7:09:14 AM5/15/18
to datameet
Hello Team,

I am a social science research student and currently studying railway accidents in India. Every year lot of people die in train accidents and there is no clear accounts on how many cases gets registered or received compensation. I am trying to understand patterns in these accident cases of multiple cities. I am tracking different websites and collecting data on it. Recently, I faced difficulties while scraping data from these websites. So it is my humble request to team, please let me know if anyone is ready to help me for this project.

srinivas kodali

May 17, 2018, 12:30:08 AM5/17/18
to datameet
Indian railways takes safety very seriously. They track every accident and do a detailed investigation, people are held accountable for this including firing of employees for negligence from line man level to divisional managers.

All of this investigations status used to be public until a while ago, but the best way to get this data again is file an RTI asking for details on investigations or the files of accidents.

For the scrapping the websites, shoot me a mail with the links and I can help with it.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Peter Mayer

May 17, 2018, 7:27:57 AM5/17/18
to data...@googlegroups.com, Vijay Sapkal

Hi Vijay,

    No need to scrape! You can get data on railway accidents from the National Crime Records Bureau's publication Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India (www.ncrb.gov.in).  Unfortunately, they've fallen behind (perhaps because they've recently relocated their offices in New Delhi).  Currently, 2015 is the most recent report available.

best wishes,

Peter

On 15/05/2018 20:33, Vijay Sapkal wrote:
Hello Team,

I am a social science research student and currently studying railway accidents in India. Every year lot of people die in train accidents and there is no clear accounts on how many cases gets registered or received compensation. I am trying to understand patterns in these accident cases of multiple cities. I am tracking different websites and collecting data on it. Recently, I faced difficulties while scraping data from these websites. So it is my humble request to team, please let me know if anyone is ready to help me for this project.
--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---
best wishes,

Peter

Vijay Sapkal

May 17, 2018, 7:28:03 AM5/17/18
to data...@googlegroups.com, ota.k...@gmail.com
Thank you Srinivas,

For your suggestions.

I have time restrictions. So I am not confident about filing RTI and waiting for its reply. But still i think its a valuable suggestion.

Now I would like to focus on a small task which I would like to share with you.

I will share details of it by end of the day.
--
Regards,
Vijay Sapkal

Vijay Sapkal

May 17, 2018, 7:28:11 AM5/17/18
to Peter Mayer, data...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Peter,

I will take a look at National Crime Records Bureau's publication.

Its a useful source.

Thanks again.