MP/MLA Shapes

Megha Vishwanath

Nov 28, 2012, 1:49:56 AM11/28/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Can anyone here point me to recent enough shape files for MP/MLA constituencies?

Thanks,
Megha

Gautam John

Nov 28, 2012, 1:59:09 AM11/28/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Megha Vishwanath
<megha.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone here point me to recent enough shape files for MP/MLA
> constituencies?

The Election Commission website used to have them but I can't find
them now. This is a dump from then:
https://twitter.com/MoodyCurious/status/273507984041193472 but to the
best of everyone's effort, the damn things don't work.

Gautam John

Nov 28, 2012, 2:03:30 AM11/28/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Gautam John <gkj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Election Commission website used to have them but I can't find
> them now. This is a dump from then:

The link should be:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ju23hfhr7m4ep5/230210_dump_eci.zip

Aashish Gupta

Nov 28, 2012, 12:39:53 PM11/28/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
is there other election commission stuff available on dropbox like this?

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/

Gautam John

Nov 28, 2012, 12:45:52 PM11/28/12
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Aashish Gupta <aashu....@gmail.com> wrote:

> is there other election commission stuff available on dropbox like this?

Heh. No. This is what I downloaded and mirrored.

No one knows where we can get MP and MLA shapefiles? =(

Gautam John

Jan 18, 2013, 3:53:12 AM1/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Bumping this up:

Does no one know where we can get MP/MLA constituency shape files?

Sabarish, KSITM

Jan 18, 2013, 4:08:50 AM1/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

Does anyone of you have Shapefiles for Postal Index Code (PINCODE) of KERALA/INDIA.

I have just started mapping the location of  post boxes in kerala are, though snail mails is slowly dying, when you want to post a letter, you dont know where the boxes are, so i planning to give the location of Post boxes if one keys in the pincode,

If someone have the shape file please do send a copy

Regards
Sabarish.K

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Megha Vishwanath <megha.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Gautam John

Jan 18, 2013, 4:10:58 AM1/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Sabarish, KSITM <kscs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> for my small proj https://keralapostbox.crowdmap.com/

Thej is doing something similar. http://openbangalore.org/postbox/

Thejesh GN

Jan 18, 2013, 4:22:30 AM1/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
@Gautam
Thanks :)

@Sabarish
That's awesome. Lets work together on this. The source code is open*. I am trying add "Twitter Photo" feature as a way to upload the postbox pictures. It should be done by this week.

The code project is now called Kannu now. (Kannu == eyes). I am trying to make it generic, so that it could be used for any crowd sourced project. Like say mapping public taps or toilets using Instagram or twitter.

Let me know.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN | ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

Sajjad Anwar

Jan 18, 2013, 4:36:51 AM1/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com

This is awesome.
Thej, do you think we can work on this during the Aaron Swartz hacknight tomorrow? http://hacknight.in/hasgeek/aaronsw-memorial

Cheers,
Sajjad

Thejesh GN

Jan 18, 2013, 5:37:25 AM1/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Sure. We can.

I also have an another idea. I will make it a different mail.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN | ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

Sabarish, KSITM

Jan 18, 2013, 6:55:49 AM1/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Ok Thanks
Will do
SAB

Meera

Jan 31, 2013, 2:42:54 AM1/31/13
to data...@googlegroups.com, Raghavan Kandala
Raghavan from Mapunity says they have MLA Shapes, but not MP Shapes.

- Meera

Karthik Shashidhar

Jan 31, 2013, 2:55:08 AM1/31/13
to data...@googlegroups.com, Raghavan Kandala
MP Shapes can be derived from MLA shapes if we have data of which assembly constituencies form which parliamentary constituencies, right?

Gautam John

Jan 31, 2013, 7:35:12 AM1/31/13
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Meera <meer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Raghavan from Mapunity says they have MLA Shapes, but not MP Shapes.

Thanks, Meera. Raghavan - any chance you might be able to share these, please?

Gautam John

Jan 31, 2013, 7:35:36 AM1/31/13
to data...@googlegroups.com, Raghavan Kandala
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Karthik Shashidhar
<karthik.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MP Shapes can be derived from MLA shapes if we have data of which assembly
> constituencies form which parliamentary constituencies, right?

Are they interlocking like that?

Laina Emmanuel

Feb 5, 2013, 6:29:36 AM2/5/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we can request data.gov.in folks to get this from the Election Commission / Delimitation Commission and put it on their website?
If we can show them the use of such data (like an interesting app or visual) we can make a case for it.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Gautam John <gkj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bumping this up:

Does no one know where we can get MP/MLA constituency shape  files?
--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/
---

Communications & Technology Officer,

Gautam John

Feb 5, 2013, 6:40:23 AM2/5/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Laina Emmanuel <laina.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe we can request data.gov.in folks to get this from the Election Commission / Delimitation Commission and put it on their website?

The funny thing is that the ECI used to have it on their website. Dunno why they took it down.

Laina Emmanuel

Feb 5, 2013, 6:52:01 AM2/5/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
The ways of Government officials and their websites are mysterious.

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/
---

Samuel Rajkumar

Feb 5, 2013, 7:33:11 AM2/5/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Who's getting me beer?

MP Shape Files are here: http://www.glidingsquirrel.in/RNandini/Datathon_files/India_PC.zip

Nisha: these were the datasets we used at the datathon in IISc.

Cheers,

Gautam John

Feb 5, 2013, 8:10:28 AM2/5/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Samuel Rajkumar <aadv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who's getting me beer?

On me. :)

> MP Shape Files are here:

These are from http://eci.nic.in/GisLayers/gis_layers.asp (Sadly, they
have taken it down.)

Karthik Shashidhar

Feb 11, 2013, 7:33:53 AM2/11/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Gautam John <gkj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who's getting me beer?

On me. :)

Just downloaded the data and went through it. Realize that these are the old parliamentary constituencies (pre delimitation in 2007-08). That is one possible reason this data might have been taken off the EC website.

So yes, I promise beer to anyone who gets me shapefiles of new (post delimitation) parliamentary and assembly constituencies (at least for Karnataka).

Srinivasan Ramani

Feb 18, 2013, 3:24:01 AM2/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Bumping this again.

Can anyone help with sharing Assembly shapefiles post delimitation. Would be very grateful.

Many thanks,
Srinivasan.

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/
---

Best Regards,
Srinivasan V. Ramani ,
Senior Assistant Editor,
Economic and Political Weekly ,
New Delhi: 110 067
09650855669

Srinivasan Ramani

Apr 17, 2013, 6:09:11 AM4/17/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
I tried doing the same - converting the PDF files into Svgs/ Jpegs and then attempting to use georeferencing via QGIS. The outcome was unsatisfactory - partially it was my inexperienced hand at work, and partially because it is just too tedious. I had to georeference by allocating lat-long information (for district HQ) from wikipedia. It didn't pan out well at all.

I also got in touch with NIC which runs the GISServer but they categorically asked me to get in touch with Survey of India, who have a clear policy drafted on maps, but not mapfiles. My attempts to contact Survey of India haven't borne fruit as yet.

Would love to get some help from this community.

Many thanks.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Karthik Shashidhar <karthik.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Reviving this thread.

So the maps themselves are available at

More specifically the Karnataka Assembly constituency map (pertinent given the upcoming elections) is available at:

I think this is a vectorized PDF, so should be able to be converted to shape files.

And I assume there is enough expertise on this list to do this conversion. Can someone do the necessary conversions and post the data?

Thanks
Karthik

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/
---

Sajjad Anwar

Apr 17, 2013, 9:31:48 AM4/17/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
I gave a quick and dirty shot and see the result in the attached image.
It's useless. The image is somehow getting flipped when I polygonize.
The image is partly useless because of the terrible resolution and
colours.

I'll take some time out and get to it. Will keep you guys posted if
something good happens.

Cheers,
Sajjad.

<karthik.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reviving this thread.
>
> So the maps themselves are available at
> http://gisserver1.nic.in/ecimaps
>
> More specifically the Karnataka Assembly constituency map (pertinent given
> the upcoming elections) is available at:
> http://gisserver1.nic.in/ecimaps/ECIPDF/State_ac_map/KARNATAKA.pdf
>
> I think this is a vectorized PDF, so should be able to be converted to shape
> files.
>
> And I assume there is enough expertise on this list to do this conversion.
> Can someone do the necessary conversions and post the data?
>
> Thanks
> Karthik
>

> On Wednesday, 28 November 2012 12:19:56 UTC+5:30, megha wrote:
>>
> --
> For more details about this list
> http://datameet.org/discussions/
> ---

Sajjad Anwar | W: http://sajjad.in | T: @geohacker
polygonize.png

Sudarshan Rodriguez

Apr 17, 2013, 8:46:51 AM4/17/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Please see this link
Local Govt Directory
http://lgdirectory.gov.in/

--

Please note my change in my mobile number to +91 9310442441

TISS LAHDC Ladakh Gyurja II Project/Coastal Area Mapping Project

Director's Office, Room No. 1,

Tata Institute of Social Science (TISS)
(Opp. Deonar Bus Depot), V.N. Purav Marg, Deonar
Mumbai 400088, Maharahstra
www.tiss.edu
Email: sudarshan...@gmail.com

suda...@tiss.edu

Phone: 022 2552 5248
Mobile: +91 9310442441

Chandrashekhar Raman

Apr 18, 2013, 1:59:11 AM4/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
you can take a look at karnatakageoportal.in. I came across this while searching for the AC shapes myself. Now these good folks definitely have all the data and they also have an interface to export what you want, 'BUT' privileges are disabled for general public, could be worthwhile to reach out to these folks.. i myself wanted to but got caught up with something else..

Srinivasan Ramani

Apr 18, 2013, 2:45:07 AM4/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks. The portal is a good site that carries post-delimitation map data and renders them well.

However, the "Export" option seems to be disabled for extracting the data behind the layers. I wrote to the site managers and also someone who was the architect behind the portal, but haven't received any replies.

Help from Bangalore based folks would be very useful.

Thejesh GN

Apr 18, 2013, 11:31:08 AM4/18/13
to data...@googlegroups.com

Seems like most of this work is done at iisc bangalore. Check RTI page.

Do any one of you know Prof Mohan kumar ?

--------------'-

A list of officers of the State Council with telephone numbers are published in the Bangalore Telephone Directory and it is as below:
Prof. M. S. Mohan Kumar
Secretary
Phone: 080 - 23341652, 23348848, 23348849
Telefax : 080 - 23348840
E-mail: off...@kscst.iisc.ernet.in
Website: www.kscst.iisc.ernet.in

--
Thejesh GN | ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್

http://thejeshgn.com/
GPG ID :  0xBFFC8DD3C06DD6B0

Neha M

Apr 19, 2013, 2:51:50 AM4/19/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
I do happen to know him in another context.
Neha Mujumdar

Shashank

Apr 20, 2013, 5:59:29 AM4/20/13
to data...@googlegroups.com, m...@sajjad.in
To close down one line of enquiry, I believe that georeferencing and vectorising the PDF maps from the NIC GIS server is pointless.

I've attached my quick-and-dirty attempt here, and have overlaid the (pre-delimitation) EC assembly constituency shapefile that was dumped on datameet earlier.

At both the georeferencing and vectorisation steps, there's a substantial loss of accuracy; at the georeferencing stage because the PDF map and the earlier EC data don't match up properly (there are kinks in one boundary that aren't duplicated in the other) and at the vectorisation stage the actual boundaries in the PDF are very thick, so they could be anywhere within a few tens of kilometres of their actual position. In the case of Bangalore city particularly, this image is unusable.

Other potential sources I've tried accessing, only to discover that they also do not have access to up-to-date AC/PC shapefiles, are the Harvard Geospatial Library and CPR.

I'd suggest that the only way of getting a useable version of the data is to get the EC to re-release it, ideally under the auspices of the National Data Portal. This is obviously easier said than done.
Karnataka_DataMeet_Map.png

Srinivasan Ramani

Apr 20, 2013, 6:41:10 AM4/20/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Let me add that I got through to EC as well... the in charge of the EC's GIS related IT work, and he put me through to their software vendor.. who put me through to ... a blank wall...

Chandrashekhar Raman

May 4, 2013, 1:58:58 AM5/4/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
need some help from the mapping  gurus here.

I use Tableau public for visualization and was trying to play with the  pre-delimination shapefiles that someone had previously shared on this thread.

Now Tableau requires the data in a format of  pointid, polygonid, subpolygonid, latitude and longitude. and i managed to get that from the .shx  after some research on the internet.. but the problem i have is that for some strange reason the latitude and longitude is not really that (snapshot below), but rather a set of  numbers which nonetheless gives the recognizable shapes.

PolygonID SubPolygonID PointID Longitude Latitude AC_NAME
3 1 1 -12.3218 1.461258 Hulsoor
3 1 2 -12.32 1.461099 Hulsoor
3 1 3 -12.3199 1.461188 Hulsoor
3 1 4 -12.3198 1.461478 Hulsoor
3 1 5 -12.3198 1.46177 Hulsoor
3 1 6 -12.3199 1.461986 Hulsoor

How do i convert these number sets like (-12.3218,1.4612) into real latitude and longitude.. i suspect something to do with the Co ordinate reference system.  appreciate any help

again i am quiet sure this something really basic.. much appreciate any help..

Shashank

May 4, 2013, 6:09:48 PM5/4/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
It looks like you need to reproject your shapefiles into a geographic coordinate reference system; in QGIS (v1.8) the Vector > Data Management > Define Projection is the tool you want. Geographic CRS WGS84 is recommended since that's what the GPS system and Google Earth use.

Abhinav Gupta

Nov 9, 2013, 12:15:13 PM11/9/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Bumping topic. Has anyone here found any source for the MP/MLA constituency shapefiles? Or has ECI re-released it by any chance (a google search says no, but then...).

Appreciate the help!

And to add, am a noob!

Warm Regards

Gautam John

Nov 9, 2013, 1:43:10 PM11/9/13
to datameet
On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Abhinav Gupta
<abhinav....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bumping topic. Has anyone here found any source for the MP/MLA constituency shapefiles? Or has ECI re-released it by any chance (a google search says no, but then...).

Sadly, only from commercial sources.

Raphael Susewind

Dec 14, 2013, 4:24:05 AM12/14/13
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hey there - one alternative route is to recreate them from the Polling Station Point data that the ECI has recently put up - see here for UP: http://data.raphael-susewind.de/content/gis-shapefiles. Unfortunately, most states are still not cleaned up, but around the general elections one should be able to get decent data - Raphael

Krishna Prasanth

Jan 21, 2014, 5:52:58 AM1/21/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

Has anyone finally managed AC shapefiles post delimitation. Does anyone have shapefiles just for Delhi if not other states? I am a novice and I would be really glad if someone could help.

Thank you

Raphael Susewind

Jan 21, 2014, 5:58:57 AM1/21/14
to data...@googlegroups.com, Krishna Prasanth
Dear Krishnan,

I will publish some on said website, but only later this year - the
cleaning up process just takes a lot of attention and time which I don't
have for the coming months,

Best,
Raphael

On 21.01.2014 11:52, Krishna Prasanth wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Has anyone finally managed AC shapefiles post delimitation. Does anyone
> have shapefiles just for Delhi if not other states? I am a novice and I
> would be really glad if someone could help.
>
> Thank you
>

> On Saturday, December 14, 2013 2:54:05 PM UTC+5:30, Raphael Susewind wrote:
>
> Hey there - one alternative route is to recreate them from the
> Polling Station Point data that the ECI has recently put up - see
> here for UP: http://data.raphael-susewind.de/content/gis-shapefiles
> <http://data.raphael-susewind.de/content/gis-shapefiles>.
> Unfortunately, most states are still not cleaned up, but around the
> general elections one should be able to get decent data - Raphael
>
> On Saturday, 9 November 2013 19:43:10 UTC+1, Gautam John wrote:
>
> > Sadly, only from commercial sources.
>
> --
> For more details about this list
> http://datameet.org/discussions/
> ---
Raphael Susewind | BGHS Bielefeld University, CSASP University of Oxford
Snail Mail | Melanchthonstr. 4a, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
Papers & Blog | http://www.raphael-susewind.de

Please do consider http://www.gnupg.org for encryption (key id A5ED49AE)

Krishna Prasanth

Jan 21, 2014, 6:09:54 AM1/21/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
I see Mr. Srinivasan Ramani has published an article on AAP where he has used post-delimitation AC files. Wonder where he got them from. http://www.epw.in/web-exclusives/aam-aadmi-partys-win-delhi-dissecting-it-through-geographical-information-systems.htm

Devdatta Tengshe

Jan 21, 2014, 6:25:59 AM1/21/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
The NIC had published some maps with the newly delimitated Assebly constituencies. On a lark, I had Digitized them. I'll try and find those out.
Are you looking for delhi, or other states as well?

Regards,
Devdatta

Srinivasan Ramani

Jan 21, 2014, 6:29:47 AM1/21/14
to data...@googlegroups.com

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/
---

Krishna Prasanth

Jan 21, 2014, 9:06:54 AM1/21/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Devdatta

I am presently looking for Delhi, but if I can get it for other states as well, than it would be so awesome.

Best
Prasanth

--
For more details about this list
http://datameet.org/discussions/
---

Krishna Prasanth

Apr 9, 2014, 8:32:46 AM4/9/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Mr. Srini

Do you have .shp files instead? or even .csv files with the geometry in WKT format. Having some trouble working with this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Devdatta Tengshe

Apr 9, 2014, 1:29:31 PM4/9/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Krishna,
I've converted the linked Google Fusion Table to a shapefile.

Regards,
Devdatta

Delhi.zip

Krishna Prasanth

Apr 10, 2014, 3:40:08 AM4/10/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello Devdatta

Can you please tell me how you did this. I am new at this and it would be great if you could help me. Thankyou so much!

Devdatta Tengshe

Apr 10, 2014, 4:40:19 AM4/10/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Krishna,
On the Fusion Tables page, I can see a 'Map of Geometry' tab. Open that tab, and then go to file>>download. Download the data as KML.
I converted this KML to shapefiles using Qgis.

Regards,
Devdatta