World shape file

mili jain

Jun 28, 2016, 4:51:41 PM6/28/16
to datameet
There is a problem in the shape file of world, India's boundaries are not correct.
Can anyone provide me with correct world shape file?

Shijith Kunhitty

Jun 28, 2016, 10:27:10 PM6/28/16
to datameet
Here you go - https://github.com/shijithpk/world_map_with_official_JK_border . Click the green download button on the right to get all the files.

I used this when I was at IndiaSpend, so it's good enough for general purposes, but if you need this for academic or professional purposes, I'd probably wait for one of datameet's GIS guys to respond.

And if you're comfortable using QGIS software, you could create your own version from the shapefiles on this page: http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-cultural-vectors/ . (The main countries shapefile and the disputed areas one are the two you need.)

Hope this helps! -shijith

Devdatta Tengshe

Jun 29, 2016, 9:27:08 AM6/29/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shijith,
Thanks for sharing the Repo. The data looks quite good; only people should be aware that there are a few gaps between the boundary, and surrounding areas.

It's not really a problem unless you zoom in too much, and no one should use NaturalEarth data for such kinds of use cases anyway.

Regards,
Devdatta

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Justin Meyers

Jun 29, 2016, 11:53:55 AM6/29/16
to datameet

What border are you looking for?

Shijith Kunhitty

Jun 29, 2016, 4:17:02 PM6/29/16
to datameet
Yeah, had a feeling the border wouldn't look good beyond a certain zoom level but since I mainly use this to make choropleth maps of the world or the subcontinent, I kind of let it slide! :)  -shijith