Adoption of HTTPS across Digital India services.

konark modi

Dec 19, 2016, 3:57:01 AM12/19/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

With the rise in Digital services via the Digital India initiative, it is a good time to measure, report and ensure the best security / privacy practices are taken into account.

We did an analysis for the "adoption of HTTPS" on these services , the details of which can be found here : https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13210228

-Konark

Nikhil VJ

Dec 28, 2016, 12:38:09 AM12/28/16
to data...@googlegroups.com

Hi konark,

Could you share any pointers to how we can adopt https? From what i've read so far, there is a cost to it. I manage some websites and wanted to bring one to https but could not understand how. I do have access to cpanel and am well versed with operating it. The website is on a wordpress.org platform.

-Nikhil, 9665831250

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Thejesh GN

Dec 28, 2016, 12:40:59 AM12/28/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
If you have access to web server then use LetsEncrypt. Its free and by EFF, Mozilla etc

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

konark modi

Dec 28, 2016, 4:15:04 AM12/28/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As rightly mentioned by Thejesh, you can use Let's Encrypt for free SSL certificates.

There is a tool Certbort : https://certbot.eff.org , which makes the task a bit easier.

Since you are using WordPress , you can try using : https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-encrypt/ , to configure a let's encrypt certificate .

Irrespective of the tool you use, please note that the Let's Encrypt certificates have a default validity of only 90 DAYS, so ensure you setup a auto renewal.

-Konark

Nikhil VJ

Sep 22, 2017, 10:04:15 AM9/22/17
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I'd taken a shot at this last december and gave up after getting stuck
somewhere. Today gave it another shot.

Found this tutorial online:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-install-Lets-Encrypt-certificate-in-a-shared-hosting-Godaddy-server

I followed it, and now it worked! Our website is now :
https://ourpuneourbudget.in/

Some loose ends to take care of :

Some of the image paths are still in http:// and have to be changed.
I'll recommend this plugin for that:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/ , just replaced
http:// with https://

Then, some scripts I had embedded via <iframe> : had to change all the
http:// paths to https:// in them too.

Step Omission:
There was one step where it was confusing and it turned out I didn't
have to do it : in the wp-encrpyt plugin, they say see the help tab,
and there the second section instructs us to edit some apache config
file on our server, to edit some <VirtualHost> block. That part was
NOT NEEDED.. folks on GoDaddy hosts can skip that and proceed to next
steps.

Important points:
1. I didn't have to pay any money.
2. I didn't have to type in any commands into any server / SSH / etc.
3. There was no waiting period.

Savings:
Present cost of SSL certs on GoDaddy:
183.25/mo + 366.59/mo renewal. Per year that would come to over Rs.4000/-.
And that's just for single website plans.

Next I'm going to try doing this on a site on bigrock, will write back
here if I encountered any differences in the process or any
challenges.

Big thanks to Konark, Thej, Devdatta for their help, and I'm really
grateful to the people at Let's Encrypt for doing this for the little
guys.

On 12/28/16, konark modi <modi....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As rightly mentioned by Thejesh, you can use Let's Encrypt for free SSL
> certificates.
>
> There is a tool Certbort : https://certbot.eff.org , which makes the task a
> bit easier.
>
> Since you are using WordPress , you can try using :
> https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-encrypt/ , to configure a let's encrypt
> certificate .
>
> Irrespective of the tool you use, please note that the Let's Encrypt
> certificates have a default validity of only 90 DAYS, so ensure you setup a
> auto renewal.
>
> -Konark
>
> On Dec 28, 2016 6:40 AM, "Thejesh GN" <i...@thejeshgn.com> wrote:
>
>> If you have access to web server then use LetsEncrypt. Its free and by
>> EFF, Mozilla etc
>>
>> https://letsencrypt.org/getting-started/
>>
>> Thej
>> --
>> Thejesh GN *⏚* ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
>>>>
>>> --
>>> Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more
>>> about us by visiting http://datameet.org
>>> ---
>>> an
>>> email to datameet+u...@googlegroups.com.