ML India Bangalore chapter | Fifth meetup - Guest speaker from Microsoft Research

Nishank Varshney

Oct 14, 2016, 7:03:34 AM10/14/16
to data...@googlegroups.com
ML-India is pleased to inform that the fifth ML-India meetup, for the Bangalore chapter, was held on 28th August 2016.

Read about it here.

They had a guest speaker - Chhaya Methani, an Applied Scientist at Microsoft and former Lead Researcher at Siemens. At Microsoft, Chhaya is working on Query Reformulation and User Intent Understanding. Her areas of interests include ML, Data Analytics and Computer Vision. She gave a talk on multiple vector representations of words. She explained how most NLP approaches work with a word as the basic building block and the importance of considering the context in which the word is being used.

The slide deck can be found here.

The participation, response and feedback from the participants was very encouraging! The participants were very active and had a lot of questions on the day's agenda. We’ll keep up with having such engaging meetups on ML, and having researchers and practitioners involved in ML to discuss their work and insights.

We urge other members in the Bangalore region to join/contribute in these meetups and help spread the word.

Please feel free to write to Sritulasi [
email] to see how you can specifically engage in this initiative.

If you are interested in organizing a similar meetup in your city, please write to us and we'll help get you going.

Stay tuned for the latest updates!

Nishank Varshney
Aspiring Minds Research