India Map

Naveen Francis

May 24, 2018, 9:00:56 AM5/24/18
to datameet
Hi,

Thank you Arun Ganesh and Datameet for uploading India Map CC0 to commons.

Many Wikipedia pages will have this map.

Thanks
naveenpf

Arun Ganesh

May 24, 2018, 10:28:46 AM5/24/18
to datameet
Excellent! Hope many find this useful.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Naraina aka Dilip Damle

May 27, 2018, 11:33:28 AM5/27/18
to datameet
HI,

Thanks

saw the link.

It says "As per government of India"

What exactly does that mean?

Because it can get complicated is someone wants to REUSE it.

Though copyrights allow it. Survey Of India Rules may make you a criminal if you republish it.

The last rules that I know of is a smaller than A4 map of India outline printed on tracing paper and bought from SOI is the only map that can be reproduced without a specific permisssion.

Can someone through some light on this.

If I publish maps on Internet where the out matches with this map Vertex by Vertex then am I allowed to do it without any specific permission.

To the best of my knowledge SOI has not published any boundary in Digital format for open usage.

MY KNOWLEDGE MAY BE OLD, I WOULD LOVE TO BE CORRECTED.

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 6:30 PM, Naveen Francis <nave...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Thank you Arun Ganesh and Datameet for uploading India Map CC0 to commons.

Many Wikipedia pages will have this map.

Thanks
naveenpf

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Naraina aka Dilip Damle

May 27, 2018, 9:40:32 PM5/27/18
to datameet
I posted it in a hurry ... my apologies for Typos.

Praachi Misra

May 28, 2018, 2:02:06 AM5/28/18
to datameet
The survey of india puts out a political map of india (here also). These maps do not acknowledge
  • the LOC between India-Pak (as was agreed on by the Simla agreement of 1972)
  • Aksai Chin (1993, 1996 agreement) (have to check the latest developments on this
In addition, import of incorrect map is prohibited. and the wrong depiction of territory is a penal offence (1961, 1990

The map itself is not copyrightable, being essentially a statement of fact. Unless the idea is depicted in a very unique way/ format.

Hope this clarifies.

Arun Ganesh

May 28, 2018, 3:03:35 AM5/28/18
to datameet

It says "As per government of India"

What exactly does that mean?

Because it can get complicated is someone wants to REUSE it.

Though copyrights allow it. Survey Of India Rules may make you a criminal if you republish it.

The CC-0 boundary set has been made with a combination of 3 non-SOI datasets mentioned here https://github.com/datameet/maps/tree/master/Country#india-compositegeojson that are under CC-0 license.

The shapes have been cut from each of these so that it closely matches the boundary shown in the SOI maps.

Naraina aka Dilip Damle

May 30, 2018, 11:19:41 PM5/30/18
to datameet
Thank you.

You mean NO map "DATA" in the world is protected by copyright.

I doubt. Though I am not an expert.

Naraina aka Dilip Damle

May 30, 2018, 11:21:56 PM5/30/18
to datameet
Thank you.

My basic Question is Can I use this boundary .. Make any other maps USING THIS and publish them under CC0 I am not violating any law.?

Arun Ganesh

May 31, 2018, 2:14:23 AM5/31/18
to datameet
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Naraina aka Dilip Damle <cadv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you.

My basic Question is Can I use this boundary .. Make any other maps USING THIS and publish them under CC0 I am not violating any law.?

You wont violate any copyright law, but its not verified to be conforming to the official boundaries as per SoI http://www.surveyofindia.gov.in/files/Criminal_Law_Amend_Act_1990_2_1_1.pdf

Maybe we should send these shapefiles to SoI for verification? Has anyone done this before? The online instructions are not very useful: http://www.surveyofindia.gov.in/files/Publishers%20may%20contact%20for%20verification_1.pdf

Thejesh GN

May 31, 2018, 7:51:04 AM5/31/18
to data...@googlegroups.com
>> Maybe we should send these shapefiles to SoI for verification? Has anyone done this before? The online instructions are not very useful: http://www.surveyofindia.gov.in/files/Publishers%20may%20contact%20for%20verification_1.pdf

Let's do that.  How do we go about? Write an email and attach the Shape files?

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Arun Ganesh

May 31, 2018, 3:15:45 PM5/31/18
to datameet
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 5:21 PM, Thejesh GN <i...@thejeshgn.com> wrote:
>> Maybe we should send these shapefiles to SoI for verification? Has anyone done this before? The online instructions are not very useful: http://www.surveyofindia.gov.in/files/Publishers%20may%20contact%20for%20verification_1.pdf

Let's do that.  How do we go about? Write an email and attach the Shape files?

Done! Now to wait.

Naraina aka Dilip Damle

May 31, 2018, 10:43:42 PM5/31/18
to datameet
Good..

Let us hope they reply.

In fact  I always think and have said it in many forums that it is SOI who should release at least ONE file Just the outer Boundary in a GIS format.

Praachi Misra

Jun 1, 2018, 12:12:28 AM6/1/18
to datameet
The data in a map is essentially the location of a place. That is a fact, which are akin to things such as India launched a satellite on so and so date, and not copyrightable. What is protected by law is the unique representation of the idea.

But that does not mean that if there are only a limited number of ways of representing the idea, then the protection is there. eg. ocean are highlighted in blue. That in itself is not copyrightable, as that idea of an ocean can visually be represented using the colour.

Stylized representations such as population density heat maps, transit charts would more clearly be covered by copyright.

However, the entities that provide maps, provide a terms of use for access to their information or database, and create types of licences for different types of access. The legal catch is the contract.

Praachi

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 8:49:41 AM UTC+5:30, Naraina aka Dilip Damle wrote:
Thank you.

You mean NO map "DATA" in the world is protected by copyright.

I doubt. Though I am not an expert.
hen the pr

Naraina aka Dilip Damle

Jun 1, 2018, 1:44:51 AM6/1/18
to datameet
Thank you

Arun Ganesh

Jun 1, 2018, 3:30:25 AM6/1/18
to datameet
On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 9:42 AM, Praachi Misra <misra....@gmail.com> wrote:
The data in a map is essentially the location of a place. That is a fact, which are akin to things such as India launched a satellite on so and so date, and not copyrightable. What is protected by law is the unique representation of the idea.

From what I have noticed, the boundaries in the census shapefiles by SoI are only accurate to a certain degree (~500m). So such generalized/inaccurate data is unique to SoI and from my understnding would be copyrightable no?

Its interesting because as the data gets more accurate, at some point it will become fact and may not be copyrightable anymore :) Curious if this is how it really works.

Naraina aka Dilip Damle

Jun 3, 2018, 12:56:55 AM6/3/18
to datameet
1. Where are the shape files that you are talking about?

2. I do not think it would work that way. In the sense it becomes a fact because it is accurate. Talking of Accuracy requires a TOLERANCE value. Tolerances are not NATURAL they are mostly arbitrarily decided based on the Purpose and the Measurement accuracy of the Machine/ Process.

BTW You people may read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox

Arun Ganesh

Jun 4, 2018, 3:23:51 AM6/4/18
to datameet
On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Naraina aka Dilip Damle <cadv...@gmail.com> wrote:
1. Where are the shape files that you are talking about?

Naraina aka Dilip Damle

Jun 4, 2018, 2:42:59 PM6/4/18
to datameet
OK

I thought Census of India (still) hosts them somewhere.

AFAIK ( Asa Far As I Know)

The only Official site to host any GIS files FREE was Election commission before delimitation. After that they disappeared and were not replaced..