Dataflow hackathon update

Graham Klyne

Nov 22, 2012, 3:08:50 PM11/22/12
to dataflo...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

We've just spent two days working towards a releasable version of the Dataflow
software.

TL;DR (summary): we're nearly there, with some loose ends to tidy up.

To provide a little more detail about where we now stand:

- We've got pretty good control over the Debian package creation and subsequent
installation. Over the past two days, we achieved several installations to
clean Ubuntu 12.04 systems, so this aspect appears to be well in hand.

- Databank is in pretty good shape. There are a couple of minor issues in the
installation package to be addressed, but otherwise its seems to work pretty
solidly.

- We experienced some unexpected regressions with dataset submissions from
Datastage to Databank, due to which we were forced to spend some time addressing
diagnostic facilities (logging). We identified and fixed the immediate cause of
failure, and at the end of the two days we feel we are quite close to resolving
a couple of relatively minor related issues.

- a couple of test case failures in the sword client have been observed. They
don't appear to be immediate problems (but we'd still aim to see them fixed soon).

- Datastage file sharing mostly works; we saw a possible problem with file
sharing on Mac - but this looks like Mac client problem as the running Datastage
server still worked for a Linux client.

- Looking ahead, we need to focus attention on regression testing and continuous
integration (which rather fell by the way through infrastructure failures and
staff handover earlier in the year) to ensure that our recent gains are "locked
in", and to allow us to make meaningful progress without a permanent core
development team.

We'll be looking to conduct more internal testing and tweaking over the next
couple of weeks or so, and hopefully after that will be ready to recommend
installable packages for evaluation. (I hesitate to create a hostage to fortune
by indicating a specific date, but my feeling is that we've turned the corner
following our difficulties of the past couple of months.)

#g