Licensing of dataset vs licensing of content

mhoffma...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2015, 7:27:34 AM3/30/15
to datacite...@googlegroups.com

Dear Working Group,

I have a question concerning the „Rights” field of the metadata scheme. Is there any possibility of signalling in the metadata that a certain dataset has separate legal status concerning the whole dataset in terms of Database Rights and separate legal status of the files included in the dataset? Are there any attributes to specify rights for Dataset and rights for Content?

Example: The author creates a dataset that includes a collection of images. The images are all licensed CC-BY, but at the same time the author wishes to waive his rights to the dataset as database by using CC0. How do we describe this in the metadata?

Kind regards,

Marta Hoffman-Sommer

----

Marta Hoffman-Sommer

Open Science Platform

ICM University of Warsaw

Warsaw, Poland

Chris Taylor

Mar 30, 2015, 8:17:40 AM3/30/15
to datacite...@googlegroups.com
Surely just as a convoy travels at the speed of the slowest ship, so a database as an aggregate can only offer the most restrictive version of the rights applying to any of its parts? Knowledge derived from the database (as a whole) could be offered CC0, or perhaps the indexes or stats or something, but if component data are restricted then those restrictions should propagate up to the whole. I just don't see how a database is anything other than the sum of its parts.

Best, Chris.

Joan Starr

Apr 1, 2015, 12:52:01 PM4/1/15
to datacite...@googlegroups.com
Greetings and thank you for your question,

It so happens that the Metadata Working Group has recently discussed a matter similar to the one you pose. You will notice that the Rights property allows repetition. The intention of that was to allow for multiple licenses to be applied generally to the (registered) dataset.

If different licenses apply to separable components of a dataset, those (various) components ought to have separate metadata records (and so also separate DOIs).
And, we would further recommend that you use the relatedIdentifier property to describe the relationships between those records.

I hope that this addresses your concern.

Regards,
Joan Starr
Chair, DataCite Metadata Working Group

Marta Hoffman

Apr 2, 2015, 5:08:57 AM4/2/15
to datacite...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your answer. We will try to implement a solution that follows your suggestions.

Kind regards,
Marta Hoffman-Sommer