DBUG> mouse issues

Anthony Masciarelli

Jul 2, 2012, 3:50:46 PM7/2/12
to dataca...@world.std.com

Just purchased a new computer system.

Used DataCAD 11 until this purchase, now using V12 since I couldn’t get V11 to run on the new computer.

Tried two different optical mousse: LOGICTECH and GATEWAY  “Moakuo”

Both work with other programs, but are “STICKY” with DataCAD.  Unable to snap with the middle button; requires significant pressure!

Checked mouse software settings.  Spoke with Mike Toce, nothing seems to solve the problem.  It is now a slog trying to work with V12 and it is really getting to be frustrating.  Any comments or suggestions?

Anthony Masciarelli, AIA

MASCIARELLI ARCHITECTS

77 Glenbrook Road / Suite 105

Stamford, Connecticut  06902

(203) 324-6330

Nick Pyner

Jul 2, 2012, 9:04:22 PM7/2/12
to dataca...@world.std.com

This is a comment, more than a suggestion.

I assume that the mice were properly installed and, most specifically, only one at a time i.e. you uninstalled the first before you properly installed the second.

I'm certain that there is no fault, per se, in DataCad, irrespective of the version,

I had the same problem when I bought a new laptop about three years ago. I bought a new mouse specifcally for it which gave the same problem. I bought another with the same result. Both were Microsoft.

I can only use DataCad by taking the ancient Microsoft mouse that lives with the desktop wiith me. I recently got a $5 bluetooth mouse for for use with another little laptop. It was never inteded to be used with DataCad but it works perfectly with the DataCad on the main laptop. I have just tried (again) one of the offending mice on the desktop. It works but only if it feels like it, which isn't often.

Conclusion: it's the mouse.

The mouse remains the prime suspect until it is clear that somebody else is,using the same make and model without any problems. I have never heard of a,Gateway mouse but plenty of people use Logitech, and the first thing you,need to do is be specific about the model Logitech you have.

Even if somebody else uses the same mouse as yours with no problems, it,could still be the mouse because it won't work with your computer. But this may only be a partial proof when you find another mouse which does work.

In short, luck might have something to do with it, or the computer
hardware.......

You say your mice work with other programmes, but do those programmes use,the middle button as critically as DataCad does?

I don't know if this has ever been a problem for OtherCad uses. I t has come,up with a couple of other DataCad users but I don't know how it panned out. It seriously concerns me that one of DataCads' greatest assets may turn out to be a liability because the mice makers are making their mice smarter but are neglecting a basic function. This is because "nobody uses it" and it is more important to be able to smoothly scroll through facebook and snap in,CAD..

I had the same problem with an otherwise really nice Microsoft wireless,mouse I was given. It would only work if nyou used both hands and both feet. I thought it was just the mechanicals of the switch and I spent a couple of days trying to fix it. This wasn't really successful, and I sadly threw it out.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why NSW
-----
Just purchased a new computer system.

Used DataCAD 11 until this purchase, now using V12 since I couldn't get V11 to run on the new computer.

Tried two different optical mousse: LOGICTECH and GATEWAY �Moakuo�

Both work with other programs, but are "STICKY'" with DataCAD. Unable to snap with the middle button; requires significant pressure!

Checked mouse software settings. Spoke with Mike Toce, nothing seems to solve the problem. It is now a slog trying to work with V12 and it is really getting to be frustrating. Any comments or suggestions?

*******************************
To Join or view DBUG Bulletin Bd: http://www.tinyurl.com/DBUGforum
NewPosts->dataca...@googlegroups.com OR dataca...@world.std.com

Neil Blanchard

Jul 3, 2012, 8:23:52 AM7/3/12
to DataCAD Boston User Group
Hi Anthony,

> Just purchased a new computer system.
>
> Used DataCAD 11 until this purchase, now using V12 since I couldn’t get V11 to run on the new computer.
>
> Tried two different optical mousse: [LOGITECH] and GATEWAY “Moakuo”
>
> Both work with other programs, but are “STICKY” with DataCAD. Unable to snap with the middle button; requires significant pressure!
> Checked mouse software settings. Spoke with Mike Toce, nothing seems to solve the problem. It is now a slog trying to work with V12 and it is really getting to be frustrating. Any comments or suggestions?

The fact that is is the same for both mice is telling. Did you download the correct Logitech driver? That is probably the program called SetPoint, unless the mouse is old, and then it may be a program called Mouseware. Once you have that installed, then set the middle button to be Middle Button, and you should get object snapping.

Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Nick Pyner

Jul 3, 2012, 1:28:19 PM7/3/12
to Anthony Masciarelli, DataCad All at
Yes, well they would do that, wouldn't they...

Having said that, Logitechs are popular with DataCad users and should work. You need to check your model against known kosher Logitech mice. I don't know anything about them but I believe my colleague down the hill has one, and I have asked him to check.

If yours turns out to be used by others OK, I would suggest you replace it. I believe both MS and Logitech have good no-questions-asked replacement policies.

Both my MS mice, that were bought for the laptop, are duds with both the laptop and the desktop.

My ancient red tail light Intellimouse is fine on both computers

The $5 bluetooth is fine on the laptop.

All this points to DataCad and the computers being innocent, and the mice are suss.

If you replace the mouse like-for-like and it still won't work, that changes the game more than a little seriously, and it might be time to change the motherboard.

I know it is late to say this but you have undoubtedly learned now that you never replace a mouse untill it is certainly irredeemably dead,or its replacement is proven to work.

I'm dreading the death of my Intellimouse, for more than the obvious reason. It has already had the cord repaired. I once had two identical, and when one died I discarded it without a thought. I now realise that that was a seriously stupid mistake.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW