IE does not launch on Windows 7 (Enterprise)

Jos Deldime

Oct 25, 2013, 7:27:57 AM10/25/13
to dal...@googlegroups.com
I'm experiencing the same issue as described in this StackOverflow post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19146162/dalekjs-internet-explorer-does-not-launch-and-the-test-hangs

Browser doesn't get started, script hangs indefinitely...
Chrome works as expected, I only have this issue with IE.

For this project I'm using Windows 7 Entreprise and Internet Explorer 9 (64bit), the testscript was the Google connection example on the Dalek site ("get started/write your first test")

asciidisco

Nov 1, 2013, 5:32:24 PM11/1/13
to dal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jos,

I have an idea why it doesn't work. I believe that it has something to do with your 64bit architecture.
Unfortunately I have no chance of getting a 64bit VM up & running, so could you please do me a favour & try to repeat your steps within a
32 Bit Windows VM? If that is not possible for you, could you please try to run your tests again, but this time, could you please add a the paramater "-l 5" to your dalek command?!

`dalek test/mytest.js -b ie -l 5`

Please post the output here, so that we can debug your problem further? Thank you.

Cheers
Sebastian

Jos Deldime

Nov 4, 2013, 7:37:43 AM11/4/13
to dal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,

the Windows laptop I'm working on was provided by the client I'm working for at the moment and I only have limited access to system settings.

I tried to run the test script on Windows' 64-bit infrastructure with the highest loglevel you provided but didn't get much extra info:

Running tests
<> [SYSTEM] dalek-internal-driver: Loading driver "native"
Running Browser: Internet Explorer
...hangs...

Seems like the IEDriver didn't log/start correctly (I have dalek-browser-ie v0.0.2)

When using the same command with chrome it passes the tests correctly
Running tests
<> [SYSTEM] dalek-internal-driver: Loading driver: "native"
<> [SYSTEM] dalek-browser-chrome: Started ChromeDriver
Running Browser: Google Chrome
<> [WEBDRIVER] webdriver: 303 POST /wd/hub/session
etc...

Jos

asciidisco

Nov 13, 2013, 5:10:04 AM11/13/13
to dal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jos.

I just got a similar environment today, I will keep you updated as soon as I was able to reproduce your issue.

Cheers.
Sebastian

Jos Deldime

Dec 23, 2013, 7:32:49 AM12/23/13
to dal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,

Just some extra info: last week an interesting comment was posted on the related StackOverflow thread: it states that the setting "Enable Protected Mode" (in IE's Security tab) must be set to the same value for ALL zones.

After doing that and re-running the tests I'm able to get one step further: the IE browser does open a new window on localhost port 5555 but then stops at that point. The only text on the browser page reads "This is the initial start page for the WebDriver server." and the rest of the test refuses to run.

In the log lines I never reach the [WEBDRIVER] parts when using IE (still ok in Chrome)
Might be related to other security settings that I haven't figured out yet...

Jos

Karthik Subramanian

Apr 1, 2014, 6:31:35 AM4/1/14
to dal...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm facing the same error, any updates on this space?

Win7 Enterprise, 64 Bit, Chrome works and IE does not even fire up.

Thanks,

asciidisco

Apr 8, 2014, 3:31:04 AM4/8/14
to dal...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I did some research on this topic & finally found 3 settings that must be set correctly in order to get IE (6 to 10) working.
IE 11 has some more problems, cause the Microsoft engineers broke a few internals, that is why they wan't to ship a brand new Webdriver impl. with IE 12.

Hope that notes help you:
  • On IE 7 or higher on Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must set the Protected Mode settings for each zone to be the same value. The value can be on or off, as long as it is the same for every zone. To set the Protected Mode settings, choose "Internet Options..." from the Tools menu, and click on the Security tab. For each zone, there will be a check box at the bottom of the tab labeled "Enable Protected Mode".
  • Additionally, "Enhanced Protected Mode" must be disabled for IE 10 and higher. This option is found in the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog.
  • The browser zoom level must be set to 100% so that the native mouse events can be set to the correct coordinates.
Cheers
Sebastian

Panduranga Ramachandran

Jan 9, 2015, 1:56:30 AM1/9/15
to dal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,

I get the following error on testing on IE:

 C:\Users\Ramachandran.p>dalek test/my_first_test.js -b IE -l 5
Running tests
<> [SYSTEM] dalek-internal-driver: Loading driver: "native"
Running Browser: Internet Explorer
>> ERROR: SyntaxError: Unexpected token U

Any Solution for this?

Note: My current IE version is 11.