How difficult

Butty

May 28, 2015, 9:07:57 AM5/28/15
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

this is just a quick general question.

I'm completely new to D3 with very little programming experience.

I have a project that involves visualizing 100 years of the make up of various goverments, about 40 in total.

I know what I want, 40 little grids of 150 squares , each color coded to reflect the different political parties and a slider that would allow you to choose the year you wanted.

Under the slider a larger version of the grid that you had chosen.

I suppose my question is, how hard would this be to achieve for a total newbie?

Thanks in advance!

Japhy Bartlett

May 28, 2015, 4:50:57 PM5/28/15
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

On a scale of one to apples, it's approximately "blue" hard.

Everyone on this list is pretty eager to help with technical questions, but the way you're phrasing this it's kind of impossible to answer.

- Japhy

Micah Stubbs

May 31, 2015, 7:42:43 PM5/31/15
to d3...@googlegroups.com
hello!

moderately difficult, but certainly possible.

is the dataset public? would be nice to see a link :-)

here is a tutorial for something similar to what you describe.

these videos and slides from early 2014 show another approach to linked small multiples using AngularJS

Butty

Jun 1, 2015, 4:44:52 AM6/1/15
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Micha,

No the dataset isnt public and the first step would be to compile it but all the information is out there.

Thanks for the link to the flowing data tutorial, thats exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.

I'll let you know when (and if) I get it done.