Data Driven "Editable or Live" Documents

Mehmet Dogan

Aug 12, 2017, 5:22:09 PM8/12/17
to d3-js
I have built a system where users can search and visualize data with d3.js. This is for improvement planning. Now, I need users to be able to pick the most meaningful data/representation and add to a plan, and add notes. Notes, would be observations on the data, improvement ideas, etc. So, basically, this will be a rich text editor like the one I am typing in right now, or tinyMCE, Quill, etc. However, I need d3 integration: search and insert charts via menu or textual clues typed in, and see charts before inserting.

My first quesiton is: is this feasible purely with d3.js? I doubt it. Recreating basic editor functionality would be very time consuming.

Then, what editor is out there that can be integrate with d3.js? I love d3's direct access to DOM and lack of abstraction. Text editor must respect that, and be highly customizable.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Mehmet

Curran

Aug 14, 2017, 4:51:42 AM8/14/17
to d3-js
Something similar was achieved in the Visdown project by Amit Kapoor:
That project uses markdown and vega lite and relies on users editing code, rather than having a rich text editor with a UI for adding the visualizations. It's not exactly what you describe, but may give some ideas for how to approach the problem.

Best regards,
Curran