Academic Genealogy Family Tree with d3?

pw6...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2016, 5:52:08 PM10/20/16
to d3-js
Hi,
Would anyone help me with the following question? Thank you so much in advance!
Is it possible to use the powerful d3 to present Academic Genealogy Family Tree in a webpage? e.g. see below, one or two advisors supervised a PhD student. Especially, how to handle the cross generation links (marked in red below)?

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Gordon Woodhull

Oct 20, 2016, 6:01:07 PM10/20/16
to d3...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at d3-dagre for that. It's not maintained but it's pretty solid.

It doesn't handle routing paths around intermediate nodes, so Lichtenburg would be drawn on top of the edge that passes him. That part is kind of tricky and I don't know of js libraries that do that.

(Pointers welcome if anyone knows of such libraries!)

Cola.js (aka WebCola) will also draw directed graphs but IMO it's much better for undirected graphs.
<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

bangki...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2017, 3:19:18 AM10/19/17
to d3-js
See my example here (desktop)  : http://scienic-data.com/force-layout-british-monarch-family-tree/

Features :
*Zoom in or out with your mouse scroll button.
*You can drag the tree.
*Use the 'RESET' button to reset tree zoom & positioning
*Use the 'SEARCH' button to search a family member within the tree.

Special feature :
Click on Queen Elizabeth II picture node to display succession line to the British Throne.