cumulative histogram?

David Luu

Jan 30, 2016, 9:59:02 PM1/30/16
to d3-js
I was just wondering whether one can easily make a cumulative histogram (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histogram#Cumulative_histogram) with d3 histogram layout and the current examples, or whether this is something that requires some (math) work to implement?

I've not really used cumulative histogram myself.

Drew Winget

Jan 30, 2016, 10:09:48 PM1/30/16
to d3...@googlegroups.com
It will require some math, but the math should be a simple function that converts your existing histogram data to sum up the previous bins. Other than that, the rendering code for d3 to bind to SVG should be useable unchanged. Just feed in the cumulative data instead of the non-cumulative data. Depending on the user experience you want to create, this accumulation could be done beforehand on the server as part of a database call or the response processing logic.