Database and code recommendation for visual search engine

Grey Valenti

Apr 21, 2017, 1:11:24 PM4/21/17
to d3-js

I’m a Rutgers student building a web-based visual engine search for a poetry archive database. I want the users to be able to be able to perform a faceted search and write a program to produce a network graph that looks like this: http://eden.rutgers.edu/~mgv28/LGBT_Prototype/index.html

My original thought was to use an MySQL database and d3. Someone told me they thought an MySQL database would be too brittle. Does anyone have a suggestion about what would be the right database / code combination to tackle this problem?

steve rickus

Apr 21, 2017, 1:26:03 PM4/21/17
to d3-js
I would agree that a relational database is not the most natural storage type for unstructured data, like text. In my past lives, I have use SOLR for cataloging documents, which automatically provides faceted searches, and the ability to find related or semantically similar documents.

I do like the idea of using D3 for the visualization portion of the project. It takes a while to get your head around the coding model, but there are loads of examples that you can search, and lots of libraries for generating organically natural layouts. Best of luck...
--
Steve

Ian B

Apr 21, 2017, 1:27:28 PM4/21/17
to d3...@googlegroups.com
It's not obvious to me how much data there is, but typically I'd be tempted to use Sphinx or Solr for the search engine.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Grey Valenti <greyv...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m a Rutgers student building a web-based visual engine search for a poetry archive database. I want the users to be able to be able to perform a faceted search and write a program to produce a network graph that looks like this: http://eden.rutgers.edu/~mgv28/LGBT_Prototype/index.html

My original thought was to use an MySQL database and d3. Someone told me they thought an MySQL database would be too brittle. Does anyone have a suggestion about what would be the right database / code combination to tackle this problem?

Marc Fawzi

Apr 21, 2017, 1:49:39 PM4/21/17
to d3...@googlegroups.com
a graph db with full text search could be interesting too http://ontotext.com/graph-databases/