Linking two sets of categories to each other, with multiple subsets to display

st.sch...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 3:27:13 AM4/9/18
to d3-js
Hi there,

I am new to d3js. For a current project, we would like to work with d3js.

We have two sets of categories, A and B. A holds two dozens of categories, B probably more then a hundred. Now, each of those categories has subsets of categories/parameters/indicators. When a subset of A is selected, it would point to the categories of B, to which there is a meaningful connection. It would look like the screenshots attached (no idea which software they use (https://environmentlive.unep.org/synergies); it's rather slow and not very smoothly).

Would it be possible to develop something like this with d3js? Are there any existing examples? I looked at the examples on the d3js website, but could really find anything similar.
Do you know of any other software which can achieve that?

Thanks for any hints,

Stefan

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 09.11.44.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 09.11.28.png

Ibrahim Tanyalcin

Apr 9, 2018, 7:09:35 AM4/9/18
to d3...@googlegroups.com
I have made something like that a year and a half ago. It will need an ordinal and a linear axis. Perhaps you can combine 2 instances (1 with ordinal A categories and linear B, other with linear B and ordinal B) and the align them vertically. Then you would have to sync them using the handleEvent. Show parts of the axis by setting the viewport method etc. I cannot help you directly but I wrote all the api down. I made it for v3 and v4 and probably will work for v5 as well since the only thing changed was the fetch api.